Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I have an 8 week old basset hound who has his right front paw

I have an 8 week old basset hound who has his right front paw go in like it is pigeon toed. it doesn't seem to hurt him but i don't want it to cause future problems either. i've read up some that he could grow out of it or this could be poor nutrition, etc.
I'm wondering if there is a good way to wrap his paw with vetwrap to help correct this.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Did you get Barkley from a breeder?

If so, did you ask if any of the other pups in this litter or in their line has this issue?

Did the vet do an x-ray to see if it's a bone deformity?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes from a breeder. We noticed it together actually. No other litter mates seem to show this.This is our 3rd basset from her and we trust her completely.

Barkley has not been to the vet yet and we will go in a few weeks for his 2nd round of shots.

However, like I said earlier, many vets do not have experience with basset bones as they are very different than other dogs.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Without seeing your pup in person and taking x-rays, all I can really do is wager a guess at what could be going on. That being said, it sounds to me as if your dog might have a developmental problem with bone or bone plate growth in those legs.

It is important to have your vet determine if there is a problem with the growth of the bones of the front legs. This should be done within the next two months and the sooner you can manage it, the better. If there is substantial deviation of the leg bones, it is usually due to one bone having deficient growth while the other one lengthens normally. This leads to a bowing effect as the longer bone has to bow against the pressure of the shorter bone. In some cases it is possible to fix this situation by breaking the shorter bone and inserting a pad of fat between the bone ends to make it heal slowly and allowing the leg to straighten. In other cases, it is necessary to go more complicated surgeries that correct the situation. It is almost always possible to help, although it can get to be expensive. It is important to fix this situation, if possible, because it leads to degeneration in the joints above and below the bowed portion of the leg and some dogs have very difficult times late in life due to the growth abnormality. Unfortunately there is no way that vet wrap will help correct this.

I hope that it is unnecessary to consider surgery but if there is substantial bowing it would be worthwhile to do surgery if it is possible. Your vet can refer you to a surgical specialist, if necessary, for a consultation and/or surgery.

I hope this helps.