EmergencyVets, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Emergency Veterinarian 10 years experience..

What are the potential reasons my mixed breed Tervurian would

What are the potential reasons my mixed breed Tervurian would be vomitting after eating ice? We feed her at approx 7 am daily and she spends the day outside. She usually comes inside around 5 pm. She will take ice when it drops from the floor, but it is not something we give her on a routine basis. Twice in the last week when she had been inside around 2 hours, she got an ice cube and vomited within minutes of eating it. This has not been a problem in the past. Besides "dont give her ice cubes", should we be concerned of other underlying medical issues?

EmergencyVets :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help you today..

EmergencyVets :

I have seen this before with a handful of dogs where the cold temperature of the ice can cause a vaso-vagal repsonse and lead to vomiting. It is usually not a huge concern, but if for any reason she was to quit eating or drinking, or start to have diarrhea then I would strongly encourage a vet visit.

EmergencyVets :

If you want to play the safe card and since she is 6 you could have routine bloodowkr just as a wealness screen anyway

We have not noticed those symptoms. I will bring it up at our next visit with our Vet, but I wanted to know if I should be immediately concerned.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX be in touch with our Vet for a routine check in rather than as an emergency.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Roni. How is everything going?