Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 7 year old male mastiff (samson) is panting excessively.

My 7 year old male mastiff (samson) is panting excessively. He is on cortisone for his seasonal allergies. I wanted to know if this was a side effect of the medication or not. He is not drinking but it is quite windy out and he may be nervous. Any ideas?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Excessive panting can be caused by:
- pain
- nausea
- endocrine diseases including
1. hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone and very common in older pets)
2. Cushing’s disease (where the body is producing excessive amounts of its own steroids from the adrenal glands and also quite common)
- Stress/anxiety
- A primary problem with the lungs like bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma

But, absolutely, steroids are well known to cause panting in dogs. It is the same reason dogs with Cushing's can be panting.

So, yes, the cortisone could be the problem.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is there anything I can do to help him?

Hi Jessica,
First, you need to have him evaluated by your vet to ensure that the steroid is truly the cause.
If the vet is not suspicious of any other concerns, they may be able wo work with you in reducing the dose or frequency the steroid is given.

I can't guide you with dose reduction since I am not your primary vet and familiar with all of his history.
But, a dose reduction may help.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?