Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog seems to have stopped barking. He has a dry cough instead.

My dog seems to have stopped barking. He has a dry cough instead. He appears to eat and drink without choking, bowel movements appear normal and he is not vomiting. Appears okay otherwise. Baffled!

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry for the delay. Given the description of the cough and how Jett is eating and drinking normally, I would be very suspicious of a kennel cough situation.

Kennel cough is a viral/bacterial upper respiratory infection of the trachea that causes irritation and coughing events like what you're describing. If this is what is going on, then the body is fighting of that infection. If there is no nasal discharge then most likely it is viral at this point. If there is discharge then there is a secondary bacterial component. These are cases where I will recommend antibiotics to be given. If the coughing is persistent and comfort can't be obtained then cough suppressants can be used. These should both be obtained from your vet.

Here is a great link on kennel cough.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=600

In all cases with coughing, it is advised to get to your vet to have chest radiographs taken to look for any lung issues like a deeper pneumonia. I'm hoping that he continues to do well and gets over this soon. Please hit reply to let me know what further questions I've brought up.