Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

my dog is 12 years old and will not eat, lays and sleeps all

my dog is 12 years old and will not eat, lays and sleeps all the time.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. First, let me gather more information from you. How long has this been going on? Have you taken her to a vet yet for blood work or an exam? Any vomiting or loose stools? Does she seem painful at all when she tries to walk or go up or down stairs or when she jumps up on furniture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this is being going on for a week or so. She walks slower but mostly she just wants to sleep and will not eat. We do not have extra money to pay for vet cost.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Okay. With a dog of that age that is not eating and sleeping a lot, there are many possible causes, and it can be hard to narrow it down without a physical exam and blood work. It could be liver disease, kidney disease, diabetes, cancer, or a ruptured mass that is causing anemia... these are just a few of the many, many things that could cause these symptoms. I completely understand the financial constraints, but there is not much that you can do to try to help her without knowing what is causing this. You can check her gums to make sure they are still pink, and if they are pale or white you will need to take her to a vet immediately. If they are pink, and she is still drinking, I would try to coax her to eat with canned dog food or a bland diet of boiled chicken breast and white rice. Sometimes warming it up a bit in the microwave can make it more tempting. You can also try giving one adult buffered aspirin every 12 hours in case pain has something to do with why she is acting this way. Other than that, there is not much that you can do at home without knowing what is causing her symptoms, since her symptoms are what we call "non-specific" and can point to many different illnesses. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dewonna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Ann M.