How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bruce Your Own Question
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 18656
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Bruce is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my chihuahua ( long legged chi, a little bigger than a regular

This answer was rated:

my chihuahua ( long legged chi, a little bigger than a regular chi) ate 1/4 to apx. 1/3 of a single black grape ( a little larger than a red grape)
earlier this afternoon. He's a little lethargic and about midnight spit up three little foamy vomits. Should I wait til the morning to take him to the vet or what should I look for and since my math is bad and I understand 0.15 oz of grapes is toxic, what is about 1/4 to 1/2 of a black grape weigh and is that toxic, what should I do?
Hi,

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Willowby's situation. Could he have ate anything besides this 1/4 to 1/3 of a single black grape? Any chance he eats more than this amount of grapes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


I was also concerned about a turkey pot roast that i bought at the grocery it said it had yeast and seasonings (did not say specifically onion or garlic but ?) he had some and was good several hours after. I'm thinking it


s possible it made him a little unsettled, but his stomach and lethargy are more pronounced after he threw up. It's also late at night, but he's not himself. and I'm freaked over the grape poisoning issue that's about it?

Thanks for that additional information Mindy. Grapes are a fruit that can be very toxic in certain situations to certain dogs. The toxic component is still not known to us and for some reason, certain dogs seem to be more sensitive to it than others. So in saying this, I tell all owners that any grape ingestion has to be considered a possible toxicity. Whether or not it causes kidney damage is case dependent though. In the literature 1 or 2 grapes for a 10 pound dog have caused kidney damage / failure. So he is at risk here. Here is a great link going over all this.

http://www.petsadviser.com/pet-health/how-toxic-are-grapes-for-dogs/

I will say this, the damage that could have been done by the grape portion seems too early to appear at this time. It takes usually more than a day to start to have the kidneys get injured, to not work as well, and to then cause clinical signs. So in saying that, the nausea at this time more than likely is due to the turkey pot roast that he could have gotten into too.

But, at this time, with him vomiting, that will make him dehydrated and dehydration could cause more concentration of the "toxin" in the kidneys and further increase damage. My best recommendation is to get to a vet as soon as possible to have him evaluated, get some anti-nausea medication and be started on IV fluids to help protect his kidneys through diuresis. Please let me know what I can focus more on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bruce, thank you. It is 4 in the morning and the emergency vet in this area is not very good. my regular vet opens up at 9 so should I go to the er or could I wait 5 -6 hours?

I wish everyone had a great ER facility readily available that they trusted. This isn't the case for all pet owners though. My vote would be to get to the ER clinic as they can get the ball rolling for therapy here. Potential toxicities are time dependent. The sooner they are more directly treated, the better. You'll be doing everything in your power to avoid a worst case scenario. Some pet owners in your situation would not want to put the effort, time or money into treating this potential toxicity. And, there would be a fair number that would have pets not have an issue. But, those few that did would be very sad to know that they had a chance to help prevent it.
Dr. Bruce and 4 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you