Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I just came from my vet and my dachshund has some kind of desease

I just came from my vet and my dachshund has some kind of desease on his back and needs to be put to sleep. He has a bulging disk. Is there anything that can be done. I can't afford surgery and she said it was painful for him. He cannot use his back legs and he does not have control of his bladder. He does eat and poop and move his front legs and drags himself. He doesn't seem to be in pain but I don't know.

Hi there and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. I worked in emergency and critical care medicine for 6 years and worked with a neurologist. If you are not ready to put him down and want to try anything you possibly can, if I were you, I would try admitting him to the hospital for high doses of IV steroids for 2 days and see if things get better. I would also take him somewhere that has access to a therapeutic laser, because laser treatments can help, and they are affordable (~$45 per treatment). If neither of those treatment options are affordable for you, then I would take him home and try oral steroids and cage rest. In 5% of cases or more, simple cage rest over 4-6 weeks can allow a dog to regain the use of his hindlimbs and bladder, even if it is just a little bit. Pain, in the short term, can be managed with oral pain medications. If he is not better in a month or so, you can consider a wheelchair for him if he has bladder control by then. If he has no bladder control at that time, I would consider putting him down. Here is a link to a wheelchair site:

http://www.handicappedpets.com/adjustable-dog-wheelchairs.html

Hope this helps. Best of luck.