Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.
13866827

Hi, I had to take my dog to the emergency clinic yesterday.

Hi, I had to take my dog to the emergency clinic yesterday. Even though she wasn't acting ill, I noticed a tiny bit of blood when she urinated. (I always wipe her off with a damp paper towel after she goes to avoid irritation). She was diagnosed with a UTI and infected anal gland. They prescribed Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim Tablets, I am not interested in giving her that medication because she has been given Bactrim before and had a negative reaction. I have some Simplicef that was prescribed to her earlier for another condition. Will it be effective for the UTI and infected anal glands?
By the way, they did give her a shot of PolyFlex last night at the clinic. Thank you for your help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Customer:

hello

Dr. Scarlett :

Simplicef is a cephalosporin-type antibiotic. I like it a lot for skin infections, but don't commonly use it for bladder infections. I don't generally grab SMZ-TMP as my first antibiotic choice, either. Truthfully, for a bladder infection and anal gland infection, I would have prescribed Clavamox.

Dr. Scarlett :

Did you mention to the vet last night that your dog had a bad reaction to sulfa drugs in the past?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what happened with the chat, I answered you and then it said disconnected. When I asked the dr at the emergency clinic if the medication had another name (like a brand name) she said no. If she had told me Bactrim, I would have told her no. Then I called my regular vets office today and they wanted to give her Convenia. She has had that in the past for something else and it didn't seem to do anything. Plus she had a shot of that about 1 month ago. I don't like that drug anyway..too many negative stories...

I don't mind Convenia, but it is in the same class as Simplicef. I think it is great for skin infections, but less great for bladder or other types of infections.

Polyflex is similar to Clavamox and I think it would make sense to have her on that, rather than anything else. I might call your vet and ask about trying that instead of the Convenia. It is a nice broad-spectrum antibiotic.

It would have been nice to have cultured the urine before starting antibiotics, so you'd know what bacteria was in there and what antibiotics it was sensitive to. Too late to do so now, however, since antibiotics have already been started.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

You are welcome. Good luck!
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.