Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.
13866827

My 2 and a half year old border collie has been acting very

My 2 and a half year old border collie has been acting very strange in the 72 hours she usually plays with my 2 other dogs but she has gotten really attached to me and drinking and panting and sleeping more then usual. She does play a little but not much.
She is up to date on all her vaccinations.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Sorry to hear Tia is acting oddly. Can I get a little more information?

Dr. Scarlett :

Is she asking to go outside to potty more frequently? Any accidents in the house? How is her appetite? Is she licking herself anywhere? Any limping?

Customer:

Hi, she doesn't ask to go out as we let her out every 2-3 hours but she goes straight away when she gets out there. Nope no accidents in the house. we leave food down all the time so she have it when she wants it but as I have two other dogs and they all eat from the same bowl its hard to see how much she is eating. No haven't noticed her licking more then she normally does and no limping.

Dr. Scarlett :

My first thought with the increased drinking and the clinginess is that she might have a urinary tract infection. Since you let her out frequently, she probably wouldn't have any accidents in the house, but if the urinating right away when let out is a little different, then she might have some urgency. The panting and clingyness certainly indicate that she has some pain or discomfort somewhere.

Dr. Scarlett :

It would be good to determine if she is eating normally. If that is decreased, then her discomfort could be GI related, although I wouldn't expect that to cause an increase in her drinking.

Dr. Scarlett :

I think it would be worthwhile to catch a fresh urine sample and take her to your regular vet for an exam. If it was only the last 24 hours, I'd suggest giving her a little more time and see if she improved, but since it has been 3 days now, I don't think she is gong to get better.

Customer:

I'm just worried because she is not her normal self and she is sleeping a lot more then she would do normally. I will try and get a vet appointment for but it getting her there is the problem and she don't like the vets as she has been very poorly with grade 2 cancer which was removed 6 months ago but she now has a major fear of the vets

Dr. Scarlett :

Your border collie was diagnosed with cancer?? What kind of cancer?

Customer:

I don't know the name of it all I know it began with an M

Customer:

Just looked and it was grade 2 mast cell cancer on the right side of her body

Those mast cell tumors in the skin usually stay in the skin, so I guess I wouldn't be too concerned about that. They can recur or show up in other places, but again, mainly on the skin.

I do think taking her is in the best option. I would want to check urine and blood--it will make it easer on Tia if you can collect the urine at home before going in.

You might ask your vet if they have Adaptile, a pheromone for dogs. This is a calming scent that can help with some anxiety, such as during car rides or at the vet. Your vet may carry it and most pet stores also have it. Might make the visit a little easier. It comes as a collar or a spray--so you could spray it on a towel or bandana to carry with her.
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.