How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dave Your Own Question
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 4124
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Dave is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 1-year old rescue dog was spayed 11 days ago. She had a

This answer was rated:

My 1-year old rescue dog was spayed 11 days ago. She had a post surgery follow up two days ago- stitches were removed and we were told by our vet that her incision looked great. She has been doing fine until this morning- she began shaking uncontrollably and looked confused, so we took her to another vet (because ours in not open on Sundays.)

On exam today, the vet said he felt something abnormal in her abdomen. They did bloodwork and xrays- said her WBC was high (26.1) and that the x-ray showed some sort of mass (but they are not sure if it's a foreign body or some sort of complication/ infection from the spay surgery). Loaded her up with IV fluids and antibiotics and recommended that we bring her back in tomorrow am- most likely for exploratory surgery. Not sure what to do- hoping for some advice.
Hello, and thanks for writing in. Sorry to hear this is going on with Bluebell. I would agree with the veterinarian that examined Bluebell today - IV fluids, antibiotics, and exploratory surgery would be in her best interest, just to make sure the problem is taken care of as soon as possible. To be a bit more conservative, you could always see how she does on just the IV fluids and antibiotics. If she does fine with this, then follow-up X-rays every week or two would be recommended to make sure the problem is going away. Certainly, if you try just the IV fluids and antibiotics, and her problem continues or recurs, the exploratory surgery would definitely be recommended - just to see if there is an abdominal infection, foreign body, or something else going on. Another possible option is to have Bluebell ultrasounded, to see if that would tell more information than the X-rays did.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you and Bluebell further.
Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the reassurance and the prompt reply.

You are very welcome - glad to be here to help out!
Let me know if I can help further.

Take care,
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave and 5 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you