Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I have an 8 month old puppy in her 3rd day of fighting parvo.

I have an 8 month old puppy in her 3rd day of fighting parvo. She has stopped vomiting, no diarrhea, drinking and eating. We are worries because she is panting so badly all day. last count was 129 respirations/minute. Is this normal in a puppy fighting parvo or is there something else going on? She has been to the vet, lots of meds and such, but we are scared beyond belief
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Sassy.

No, I am a bit surprised that Sassy is breathing that fast. If, she was still nauseated, vomiting, bad diarrhea, then I wouldn't be surpirsed. She would be panting or breathing fast due to nausea or abdominal pain.

But, she doesn't have those symptoms and she is improving.
It is possible that one of the medications, as a side effect could be causing some accelerating breathing.

So, if she is unable to settle down and sleep, she will need to get into an emergency vet.

If she can sleep, that would be good, and she may need to be evaluated in the morning.

What else could be going on?
Well, of course the parvo fight is still going on a bit.
Possibly, an additional intestinal problem like an intestinal parasite like giardia or coccidia.

That breathing really should be able to dip under 30 while sleeping.

Great news that she is eating and drinking okay, but the breathing does need to be addressed.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She was at the vet Thursday the 8th of this month. She is still on 2 different meds here is what the bottles say:

sm2/trim: give 2 1/2cc twice a day orally

Cimetidine 200mg: give 1 tablet once a day

She has been on these since Thursday and today is the first day we are seeing this panting. She can sleep, and seems peaceful and looks like she is having puppy dreams. She has been bright eyed today and has shown quite a bit of spunk. The only thing that is scaring me is her breathing. It has not been constant today but is causing her humans much concern.

Hi Jean,
Looks like you are giving an antibiotic, and the cimetidine is an antacid to help settle the stomach.

So, if she can sleep, eat, drink, no vomiting, you are in pretty good shape.

Make sure to get a fecal test performed! Parvo is viral, but a fecal test is a must for all puppies!

Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. Here is more detailed information about fecal testing:
Fecal Testing

If she can sleep, I think there is nothing further, at this point, to be worried about, but make sure to follow up with your vet.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we are concerned about her not having a bm. She has been eating and drinking on her own. We have not had to try to force anything into her. We know that parvo can effect the intestines, and can cause sepsis. How long does it take for our 8 month old pup to start having bm's again?

Hi Jean,
Well, after all that diarrhea, and now eating, I would really expect some type of firmer feces within about 48 hours. If nothing at 72 hours, constipation could be starting, so you'll need a vet to help you out.

Avoid giving any laxatives, as they can be a nightmare for bad diarrhea and abdominal pain.

But, there can be a few day delay in some feces to be produced after eating again.

Hello
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?