Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice

my dog came home from a walk yesterday and when he got home,

my dog came home from a walk yesterday and when he got home, he started to turn clockwise circles and was unable to stand or walk. he is 13 years old schauzer.
Has not been able to walk, eat or drink. Head seems to be stuck in a right turned position.
Hello, and thanks for writing in.

This can go along with a few things, including a middle/inner ear infection, brain tumor, stroke (not common in dogs), or vestibular disease. Of these possibilities, in an older dog, vestibular disease appears to be most common (especially when the symptoms occur suddenly). Vestibular disease occurs when part of the inner ear, which regulates balance, gets thrown off and causes circling, head tilt, falling over to one side, not being able to walk or stand, and sometimes vomiting. It's not anything you or Poggi did, it just occurs on its own. The good news is that if it truly is vestibular disease, the symptoms will commonly improve or go away over 1-14 days. Having said that, it would be best to have Poggi examined by a veterinarian, in case there is something else going on that needs to be addressed specifically. If this is not possible for you to do (ER clinic, on-call veterinarian), then keep Poggi in a confined area where he can't fall and hurt himself. You can give food and water, as long as he is not vomiting.
You can read more about vestibular disease here:

I hope this helps.
Dr. Dave
Hi Jimmie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Poggi. How is everything going?

Dr. Dave