Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My 15 year old shitzu fell down, peed and soiled himself, his

My 15 year old shitzu fell down, peed and soiled himself, his head fell down, I thought he had expired. In less than a minute he lifted his head and within a couple minutes he stood up and walked into the next room and laid down. Within 30 minutes he seemed back to normal. He has had a bad heart murmur for years. I am torn between seeking treatment or just watching him. He stresses easily and putting him through medical tests with his heart murmur is something I am struggling with. How would I know if he's in pain?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Oreo.
First, I don't think this particular incident and what you observed is pain related.

It looks a lot like a seizure event. You described it quite well, even commenting on the time frame after, which suggests he was in a post-ictal period (what follows a seizure) for about 30 minutes.

Now, sometimes, a heart arrhythmia event can look a lot like a seizure, but once the heart is back to normal, there is no delay to getting normal again.

So, in consideration of it being a possible seizure, I do feel this is strongly worth a vet visit. Not necessarily to start treatment just yet, but to ensure there isn't a specific internal issue that needs to be addressed.

Seizures are generally caused by:
1. Intra-cranial disease (something inside the head including infections, inflammatory conditions, and cancer)
2. Extra-cranial disease (anything outside of the head including organ problems like liver disease, infections, electrolyte abnormalities that can be caused by endocrine disease like Addison's, cancer)

Initial testing usually includes a basic blood profile, which should be done immediately.

If a blood test does not reveal any abnormalities, additional testing would possibly include:
- to check for evidence of inflammation or infection within the spinal cord or brain.

If you would prefer to see a specialist, your primary veterinarian can refer you to a neurologist, or you can find one yourself and go without a referral by using this link:

Find Various Specialists
--> Under "specialty" select SAIM = Small Animal Internal Medicine
--> Or, you can search for a Neurologist, Cardiologist or Oncologist
Now, what about your question!
When in pain?
Well, I would expect symptoms like:
1. Becoming aggressive when touched a certain way.
2. Excessive panting can be due to discomfort, although can be seen with nausea, after a seizure, and hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone)
3. Exercise intolernace or not really wanting to walk anymore

The heart murmur is not of much concern for routine testing like a blood profile. My own Cavalier has a grade 5 to 6 out of 6 heart murmur and does quite well for blood draws.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.