Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

my dog was taken off loxicam and put on prednisolone after

my dog was taken off loxicam and put on prednisolone after injuring his back leg, is there any benefit in this

Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

Prednisone is a more potent anti inflammatory than Loxicam, and typically has greater effectiveness in some types of acute soft tissue injuries.

Drew :

It has more side effects as well,

Drew :

so we don't like to use it unless there's a good justification to do so.

Drew :

I use prednisone for back / spine injuries often,

Drew :

but rarely for leg injuries.

Drew :

Since he responded to Loxicam, I'd be more likely to suggest the use of that if needed, but perhaps you ought to ask your veterinarian why the prednisone was used instead.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you, but does the prednisolone actually help bad pain. hes been on them 5 days and is whimpering all the time which is not like him

No, it's really not a great pain killer, to be honest. It's a good anti inflammatory but is not known for strong pain killing effect.