Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

hello, my pup broke her leg a few weeks ago and has been

my pup broke her leg a few weeks ago and has been in a splint since. it has been changed out regularly because even with an e collar on she can still get to the paw section of the splint and tends to either chew through or lick it until it is pretty moist. i changed the splint out yesterday and noticed that some of the hair was gone around her toes and it was fairly red and raw. it didnt look too swollen when compared to the size of the other paws. i cleaned everything up and re wrapped it. i have a vet appointment tomorrow afternoon but today she has been a little down and not as energetic as normal. i am wondering if it is infected and if so will she be okay to make it until the vet appointment tommorow afternoon? i dont really have the money to take her to the pet hospital again. any assistance is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Hi there, and thank you for your question. Without seeing it, it is hard for me to tell whether or not your dog can wait until tomorrow. If the splint has been moist a lot of the time, I suspect that there is some degree of infection there. You can try putting triple antibiotic ointment all over the toes and the raw areas to get until tomorrow. It is probably pretty itchy and uncomfortable. If your veterinarian gave you any pain medications, I would make sure that you use those today. It might not be a bad idea to try to soak the rock area and the toes in Epsom salts and then dry them completely and put the splint back on. As you know, this is all best done under the supervision of a veterinarian. I am surprised that your vet is having you take the splint off and on by yourself. Best of luck!