Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

my dog has change alot lately always panting very nervous and

my dog has change alot lately always panting very nervous and restless nothing has change in diet or house she is 13 years old
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Missy.

Excessive panting can be caused by:
- pain
- nausea
- endocrine diseases including
1. hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone and very common in older pets)
2. Cushing’s disease (where the body is producing excessive amounts of its own steroids from the adrenal glands and also quite common)
- Stress/anxiety
- A primary problem with the lungs like bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma

Since Missy is older, I would be very suspicious for possible underlying pain or definitely!!! hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone).

So, it would be worth talking with your vet about doing a pain medication "trial" just to see if helpful, and a blood test is a must.

- ensure a thyroid level is included on the blood test to rule-out hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone) and quite common in middle to older aged dogs.

That is where I would start. Sorry to hear about this concern for Missy. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is not loosing or gaining weight she just pants Nervous and whines alot nothing like her personality. she defies you if you says stop drinking you literally have to go and take bowl away she will wet on floor and Never has done that before Thats why I feel it is strange behavior. Behavior is a radicale change

Understood Nancy. Good points.
Yes, I would expect weight gain with hypothyroidism but not always!

Also, with the nervousness behavior, got to also think of cognitive dysfunction (like becoming senile).

Cognitive Dysfunction

One medication that can sometimes be of benefit for this condition is Anipryl:

Holistic treatment options or additional treatments can be reviewed here: Holistic or alternative treatments

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory.