Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Hi - We have a standard poodle, Tucker, who is about 9 years

Hi - We have a standard poodle, Tucker, who is about 9 years old. He's been fine until a month or so ago when he started losing weight. He goes to the vet when needed and more so now that we noticed the weight loss. He just doesn't seem to have an appetite. We have tried various dog foods and tried boiled chicken with green beans, but he just doesn't seem hungry. When we first got him, he was a rescue, he weighed 70 lbs. Right now he is about 58 lbs! We've had him to the vets numerous times lately and they have sent blood, urine samples to Cornell, but nothing was found. He has had x-rays and they were negative. He still acts fine like his normal self. We had him outside today and he was doing laps around the house at full speed. (We call it mode 4)
Tucker has always been kind of nervous - hates thunderstorms & fireworks. Lately though, he has been drooling a lot, which he never did before. The only other thing that has changed around here lately is our Dachshund, Klinger, another rescue, had to have back surgery a few months ago, so we have been caring for him. It's almost like Tucker is worried about him.
Tucker stills jumps up on our bed at night - yes, he sleeps with us. The only other thing I can think of is that we board & geoom dogs and everytime someone pulls in, Tucker will stand at the window & bark, especially when the people decide to walk their dogs right in front of the window. I just wonder if that was upsetting him.
Well, thanks for your time. I am just reaching out now as our vet can't find anything wrong. Again, the drooling just started recently. Thought it may be a clue.
Thank you,

Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for requesting me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that Tucker is having some trouble.

Can you tell me what types of blood tests have been sent out ( if you know)

Has he had Dental X rays done?

Have they suggest an ultrasound?

How are his stools?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He had a full CBC panel. ( I hope I got that right) He was also tested for high protein in his urine. He did not have dental x-rays done, but the vet checked them and didn't see anything. He did have the runs for a few days, but we thought it may have been because we were changing his diet so much to see if we could find something he would eat.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

I come from a long line of poodle breeders so I have extensive knowledge on several problems that pop up . One of the first things I would suggest is asking your vet to test for Addisons disease. Some of the first symptoms we see with this are loss of appetite and nausea ( drooling is often a sign of nausea). These dogs will also in many cases appear to be nervous or anxious dogs. Addisons is known as the great imitator so it as often missed as it can mimic so many other things and symptoms can come and go. Please read over the following information on this disease in the Standard poodle. LINK

Drooling can also be a sign of dental pain and this can also make them not to want to eat. It is impossible to tell if there is a problem with a nerve or root of a tooth without x rays. If testing for Addisons is clear then this would be the next step.

Another option would be to do an full chest and abdominal ultrasound. This gives a much better picture then an x ray.Often problems like intestinal cancer and some masses are missed on x ray.

I would highly recommended discussing Addisons as soon as possible and again if all clear then I would ask about dental x rays and ultrasound.

I hope this helps give you some additional options to explore. If you do Addisons testing I would love to know the results. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for you quick response. Is there a separate test for Addisons beside the full blood work? Our vet said that Addisons symptoms would have shown up when he was younger. I also am leaning toward a dental problem, so may have x-rays done.

Thanks again!

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

No Addisons can show up at any age. We actually just diagnosed this last week in our practice in a Standard that was almost 11 and was seeing us as a second opinion as the owners had been told he had cancer. No two dogs will have all the same symptoms and because of the breed I highly recommend testing. If it is not Addisons then great but because Addisons can be life threating it needs to be ruled out. There is a very specific blood test for this

I do not think it would hurt to start with dental x rays but if they are clear I would test

Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Candy - I know it's late but I just realized that I never told
you that Tucker has been throwing up about twice a day. I just thought of
it because he just got me up to go outside again. It's usually in the early
a.m. like 2 or 3 a.m., then sometimes it's first thing in the morning. He
is also on a couple of meds, one for allergies & one for his stomach. One
is Omeprazole one is Mirtazapine.

Thanks again,

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
If he is also vomiting then I would not think this is due to a dental problem and it would further confirm my suggestion to test for Addisons disease and an abdominal ultrasound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again for your advice. We took him in yesterday and they did the test for Addisons. They kept him there all day and also gave him a shot for his nauseas. Last night was the first night in quite a while where he didn't wake us up in the wee hours to go outside and vomit. He back in at the vet today so they can keep an eye on him. I'm hoping the test results don't take too long to get.

Thanks,

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Please let me know what the test results are. I hope he does ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Candy - Test results were negative for Addisons. We are trying to get him in for an ultrasound now. Really has me worried. Thanks for your concern.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
That really is good news, I know it does not seem like it but it is. Please please keep me posted. I will keep him in my thoughts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Candy - Just wanted to update you on Tuckers condition. After a lot of testing we finally found out that he has stomach cancer. There's a medical name for it, but I can't think of it at the moment. He was in bad shape last Fri, weak, not eating or drinking. Our vet said we may be able to have him with us for the weekend, but his time is ticking down. We took him home with some meds & an IV of fluid to inject under his skin for hydration. Well, by Sat afternoon he was eating, drinking, playing with his toys & taking walks with us! No vomiting either. We know it is short term, but it was so nice to have our Tucker back with us, even though we know it won't be long.

Thank you for you advice and taking the time to check back from time to time. I really do appreciate it as does Tucker.

Regards,

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Oh no. I am so sorry, I was really hoping it would be something manageable. I am glad that he is doing good now and you have some more time with him. This is such an amazing breed and I know what a huge part of the family they become.
Please know that you have done everything you can for him and now all you can do is keep him comfortable and love him for as long as you can.

Please give him a good pet from me.

Thank you for taking the time to update me even though I know your heart was breaking to type out this message.

My thoughts are with you all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much Candy. Attached is a picture of Tucker and his little brother Klinger, both rescues.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Oh he is a party poodle too. He is awesome and obviously loves his brother. Thank you so much for the picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My pleasure. Thank you!