Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Rottweiler breeder was told by their vet they recommend them

Rottweiler breeder was told by their vet they recommend them having her spayed - based on blood work results. What would that mean? What could be find on blood work which would warrant such recommendation and what potential health impact would that have or not have with the recommendation followed and the female spayed? (looking to potentially adopt this girl and want to understand potential health issues; particularly worried about "pre-existing conditions" as we spent a fortune on our late girl and cannot afford anything which wouldn't be covered by insurance.

Hi Jana,

.

My name isXXXXX professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.

One potential reason for spaying might be a uterine infection called pyometra. Pyometra generally occurs 60-70 days after a heat cycle. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus though bloodwork may indicate an infection present. . There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.

.

http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/pyometra

.

It is pretty routine for a breeder to spay or neuter dogs that are exiting the breeder program. The fact they want to have her spayed before adopting her out is not unusual at all. However, before adopting her, I would recommend you ask and receive permission to speak to the dog's vet concerning her health. The vet may require that in writing. Since you plan on having health insurance on her, you can state you need the information for the insurance company.

.

An alternative would be to ask to have YOUR vet look her over and have access to her records from the breeders vet. I would personally recommend you have this done no matter who you were adopting from. Have this done before you commit to adoption.

.

Rotties are my breed and they have their share of health issues including hypothyroidism, degenerative myelopathy, hip dysplasia and many develop arthritis. Breeding dogs can develop mammary cancers and uterine infections. You can read more on genetic health issues in the rottweiler here:

http://ic.upei.ca/cidd/breed/rottweiler

.

Trying to figure out the reasoning for the vet to suggest spaying without having any of the test resuts or health records is really no more than a guess at best.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions or are not satisfied with my response, please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have or refer the question to another expert.

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Hi Jana,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?