Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My male min-pin who is 4years old started with diarrhea followed

My male min-pin who is 4years old started with diarrhea followed by bloody mucus. He is on heart worm Meds that also treat parasites. Three weeks ago he was test for heart worms and that was negative. He is acting the same as he always does. The past two days he has had soft stool ending in bloody mucus. The blood is bright red. Do I need to take him to the Emergency Vet or can I wait til Monday.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Is there any possibility he got into something he shouldn't have?

Any change in diet?

Does he get bones, rawhides or people food?

Any vomiting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No change in diet. He does not get people food, rawhide or people food. He eats a lot of thing that grow in the backyard grass,weeds, mulch. We feed him and our other min-pins 4health can food and chicken soup of the dog soul dry. The treats very small high quality all nature.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since we've ruled out things like obstruction, pancreatitis and ingestion of a toxin, I think we can assume that this small amount of bloody, mucousy loose stool is nothing to be worried about, and we can treat it as run of the mill digestive upset.

The gold standard for treatment of both diarrhea and vomiting in a dog is fasting. Generally the problem is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast him for 24 hours (providing he doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require he eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow him to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in his bowl so that he can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1/4 c every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring diarrhea. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in his kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have llarger amounts of blood in the diarrhea or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have him seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection.

I hope this helps!!
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tracey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

His stool is firmer with only a small amount of blood. That was yesterday. Still waiting to see what happens today. I have started to add his can food with the rice. Have not reintroduced the dry yet.

Thanks

Tracey

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome Tracey!!