Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Recently my dog had been peeing in the house. He is 7 yrs.

Recently my dog had been peeing in the house. He is 7 yrs. old ond is house trained. We let him out before we leave for work and I let him out when I come home. I let him out at 8am an come home at 3:30pm to find pee all over our electronic equipments! We have 2 replace our fans, wii consoles, wii games, wii controls, our tv.... I told my mother he needs 2 see a vet but she thinks it may b more behavior than medical.... Any advice? Btw the dog is husky/beagle mix.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Cody.

Worst mistake your mom could make.
Vets NEVER ever assume behavioral before medical. If it is a urinary tract infection, kidney disease, diabetes, related etc...it is going to get far worse and result in even more complications for Cody.

It is so easy to request a simple blood and urine test to ensure it is not a systemic (internal) problem first!

Remember! He WAS housetrained, so why is he now NOT housetrained. That is another reason why we don't assume behavioral. Most pets do not suddenly start urinating all over a home when they are already well trained.

It would be horrible for me to appease your mother and simply say to contact a professional trainer. Yes, a trainer would be worth every cent for a dog that is marking the house so bad. There will be no easy fix to this problem. Again, even with professional training, this will take time. That could be a lot of wasted money on training when the entire time it was a medical cause.

Absolutely, must rule-out medical issues first.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's interesting and helpful information! I am going w/ my Mom 2 Cody's vet appointment next Saturday 2 get his vaccine. Cody is Epelepsic... Could his peeing b a cause of him having epilepsy? Also we have our neighbour's dog and whenever she goes and takes her dogs out 2 go 2 the bathroom, he will go 2 the window and start growling and barking.... Perhaps he may b marking his territory?
Interesting question.

Yes, during a seizure, a pet can commonly accidentally urinate.

But!
That wouldn't be up the sides of things like equipment or sofas. It would likely only be on the carpet or in the middle of a room.

Marking the territory is always a consideration, especially if he has not been neutered. But, for a dog that is housetrained, most dogs will not suddenly start urinating all over a home.

Other pets in a household can cause it, and even when there is a newborn brought into the home there can be some problems.

A trainer would review a entire serious of questions about him, his routine, and any changes in environment, far more than can be covered in this forum. But, medical must be evaluated first.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cody. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He hasn't been 2 the vet yet but he is still peeing on the fan in the living room. I put a jar w/ moth balls there and poked holes in the lid an he no longer pees there and on my gaming equipments, my family is also taking Cody outside more often
Understood. I hope everything works out okay. I know it can get quite frustrating.