Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

I have 2 Australian Cattle Dogs, they were born April 6th so

I have 2 Australian Cattle Dogs, they were born April 6th so are just about 4months old. I have taken them to the vets a couple times for shots and such. I have noticed on one of them, that she has many tiny bumps on her head, to the point where the hair is thinning. They are nowhere else on her body and her sister doesn't appear to have them. We have done one dose of Vectra to help with fleas and ticks in the past couple days. I feed them a grain-free diet like Blue Buffalo Wilderness, (its a similar one available at Tractor Supply). We live on 30 acres in Vermont, so we go outside often for potty training and play. They have not been exposed to any other animals in the past 6 weeks. Could these be flea bites or something worse?

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

Congrats on the new puppies! First i need to ask a couple questions: how long have the bumps been present? Has your vet looked at these before? Were the dogs already on flea control before this happened, or did you just start the vectra? Also, are there bumps anywhere else on the body?

Customer:

They seem to have gotten worse in the past week or so. There was no flea control before because up to 12 weeks the vet said they were too young and then there was a 3 week delay from interstate moving and getting a new vet. The new vet didn't seem to make much of them. They don't have bumps anywhere else that I can find.

Dr. G :

I see. The bumps can be due to a number of things, so it would be a good idea to have your new vet take a look at them and check a skin scrape (for mites) and cytology (for infection). Mites such as demodex, a reaction to flea bites or allergy to the diet, or a bacterial infection (puppy pyoderma) could all potentially be the cause. Some swabbing and scraping should come up with the diagnosis and is quick and easy to do

Customer:

ok ty

Dr. G :

You're very welcome. I wish you the best with Khassy. Please let me know if you need any more information. Have a great day!

Hi Joshua,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Khassy. How is everything going?

Dr. G