Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I believe my dog ate some salsa from my sons room. She woke

I believe my dog ate some salsa from my son's room. She woke up at 4:00 this morning vomiting. She has only gotten sick twice but still acts like she doesn't feel well and is just resting. She is a beagle, approx. 30 lbs.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Doodle's having this going on. Why is she having the vomiting could be due to a couple different reasons. The vomiting could be due to her having eaten something that is just not sitting well - the salsa would absolutely fall into this category for many. I don't like to get tunnel vision so other rule outs would be something being stuck - a foreign body such as a sock, rock, stick, piece of plastic, etc. It could be due to pancreatitis. It could be due to other metabolic issues such as kidney, liver or adrenal issues. Being able to tell what of these it is due to requires a physical exam, x-rays, and some blood work. At this time, I would recommend having her seen as soon as possible to determine what is going on and how best she can be treated.

If a veterinary visit isn't possible here today, I'd pull up food and water from her for 10 hours. This literally means nothing - no treats, no food, no sips of water, nothing. Be sure to close toilet lids, pick up other pets water bowls, and monitor if goes outside so nothing can be ate or drank out there. The goal here is to let the stomach rest. If anything is ate or drank during this time, it has a very good chance of upsetting the stomach more. After we get past this time frame of having nothing, then we can start to allow access to water making sure not too much is drank at once. This is done by giving 1/8 cup to 1/4 cup of water every 20 minutes for 1 hour. If no vomiting occurs with this, then after one hour of having the water available, you can start to offer bland food. The bland foods that you can prepare at home pretty easily are boiled hamburger / skinless chicken breast and white rice mixtures. This is prepared by mixing 3/4 cup white rice and 1/4 cup of the boiled hamburger or skinless chicken. You can then give 1 cup of this combination per 20 pounds every 8 to 12 hours. I would over the next couple days then progressively get him back onto her regular food.

The huge hurdle for her to get over is the vomiting. If this continues, if she gets very weak, if she has obvious abdominal pain, or is not starting to eat and drink after 24 hours - she absolutely needs a veterinary exam. She at that point hasn't responded to at home care and needs a physical exam and testing to see what further therapy is needed. I hope this helps!!