Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 25 pound puppy just ate the whole bottle, about 55 tablets

My 25 pound puppy just ate the whole bottle, about 55 tablets of Nasty Habit, a poop eating deterrent.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

That is a lot of tablets. We can't know for certain what effect it could have or if there is any possibility of toxicity.

If it was just ingested in the past 30 minutes, I would induce vomiting to get as much out as possible!

To induce vomiting at home, give 1 to 2 teaspoons for every 10 pounds of body weight of 3% hydrogen peroxide. ONLY use the 3% peroxide. If no vomiting within 15 minutes, the dose can be repeated. It is an irritant to the stomach lining, and that is why it causes vomiting. 1 teaspoon is 5ml of liquid.

If you do not have peroxide, I would go into an ER vet. The best result is if vomiting is induced within 1 hour of ingestion!

I think getting it out of her system quickly will be better for her, as 55 tablets could cause severe stomach or intestinal distress.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the hydrogen peroxide. Should I mix it with kibble or canned food to get her to ingest it or will she drink it plain?

She will definitely not drink it AND can't mix it.

You have to make her drink it. No choice.

Hi Julie,
I see you have gone offline. I will try to stay online for maybe another 15 minutes to assist you further if needed.

I hope my responses have been helpful?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She started to lap it up from a bowl, but didn't like it, so I poured the rest down her throat. Took about 5 minutes and then she walked outside and threw up! Good girl! I really liked that she went to the back yard as it is gross! Thank you!

Great.
I am assuming there was a ton of remnants of pills in that vomit!

If she appeared to vomit a lot of pills, wait maybe 10 minutes in case she vomits more.
Afterwards,

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

I cannot promise a reaction or other problems like bad diarrhea won't result, so still make sure to get into an emergency vet if you have any concerns over the next 24 hours.

Good Luck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Yes, there were lots of tablet remnants! Ewww.

I have some prilosec, I think it's 20mg so I'll cut one in half for her and give it to her before I put her in her crate for the night. She sleeps in my bedroom, so I will hear if she's still upset. (Or smell if she has diarrhea during the night! Double Ewww!)

She happens to have an appt tomorrow morning at 10:30 (in about 11 hours) for her third set of shots, so I will tell the vet what happened tonight, in case they may want to check her out regarding her "overdose"!

Thanks for your help.

Your welcome!

Hi Julie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Andy,

Lux seemed perfectly fine the next day. Took her to get her 3rd shots the next morning, but since it was a tech (not a vet) administering the shots I didn't even mention it to her. I thought Lux was fine and she was. Like nothing ever happened. Now, I wish Vets and techs had more training in feeding and nutrition! Oh well, doing lots of on-line research of my own on that subject. Finding out how much low calcium food to feed a large/giant breed dog isn't so straight forward! I'll press on. Thanks for following up with me.

Hi Julie,
Easiest solution. If not feeding Science Diet, simply find a diet that closely matches it.
Why?
Science Diet is one of the few remaining diets that is still clinically tested and not just formulated.

Also,
Here, you can have some fun with this info:

Here is some information on the AAFCO requirements for dog food
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=labelinfo101
http://www.petfood.aafco.org/Portals/0/pdf/PetFoodWorkshop2008.pdf