Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog has previously healed from a sue do pregnancy ( enlarged

My dog has previously healed from a sue do pregnancy ( enlarged nipples, clear fluids) since Monday she has been in severe pain due to her neck possibly from laying in a different way to offset the pain previously experienced from her nipples. Marla weighs 10lbs and is a chihuahua . Her neck is in so much pain i have elevated her dog bowls so she is able to eat from them ( her appetite has significantly decreased). When she walks her legs are wobbly and periodically she pants excessively. Since she is a house dog she is let out in a fenced backyard, there is one small step to go down and she has great difficulty doing so I have attached a picture showing how she lays a good portion of the day in her bed- hind legs up, front legs down. When her head is moved she cries out in pain. She also keeps her head low avoiding raising it. I'm looking for pain relief for her or a resolution before I can get her to a vet. Many thanks!
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

I read that Marla has had a pseudo pregnancy...is she not spayed?

If she's not spayed, do you know when her last heat cycle was?

Has she been doing any vomiting or having diarrhea?

How long would you estimate this neck pain has been going on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Lisa! My first contact with this website was last week and was determined by another expert that it possibly was a pseudo pregancy. She is not spayed her last cycle was around this past April. No vomiting or diarrhea-her stools have been normal. The neck pain begun this past Monday and hasn't subsided.

Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it. I just have another few questions...

What behaviors was she doing to indicate the pseudo pregnancy?

Does she feel warm to the touch?

If you press on her belly, does it seem to hurt her?

Have you noticed an increase in her drinknig at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No problem. When she was previously experiencing symptoms of the pseudo pregnancy her nipples were enlarged, discharge from the nipples was clear, when picked up she would cry out in pain and her stomach appeared to be swollen. After completing steps with the previous vet from this site ( cold compress/ rest) she was and continues to be better. Now her neck is the problem. In the previous picture i attached she has her hind legs up and resting her head on her front legs which are down. Her belly doesn't have pain anymore when touched and her drinking water is the same.

Thanks so much for answering my questions. I appreciate it.

I was a bit worried that there might be something more going on with her, but since she seems to be getting better with compresses and rest, I think pseudopregnancy was probably what was going on.

The way she's laying now is a bit disconcerting...but for tonight, I think that rest and 1 baby aspirin (ONLY aspirin...we never use things like Tylenol (acetaminophen), Advil (ibuprofen) and Aleve (naproxen sodium) in dogs as they can be toxic even in very small doses) once every 12 hours until morning.

In the morning, I do think that finding a vet in your area is a good idea. It's possible that she's only got a sprained muscle in that neck, but there's also the possibility of other things, so having the vet take a peek is the best thing to do.

Since she seems to be mostly stable I don't think you need to rush her to an emergency vet tonight, but I'd find an open vet in the morning so they can get her on some meds and get her feeling more comfotable.

I hope this helps.
Hi Gina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Marla. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN