Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

my dog is sick, she had diarrhea and began vomiting yesterday

my dog is sick, she had diarrhea and began vomiting yesterday and quickly became lethargic, she seemed to get better yesterday evening and was beginning to act like herself earlier today, however she now seems worse even though the vomiting and diarrhea have stopped and she has been drinking water and eating small amounts of food.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Is there any change Jinx got into something she shouldn't have?

Any changes in her diet before this started?

Does she get people food at all?

Is she spayed?

If not, do you know when her last heat cycle was?

Is she up to date on vaccines?

Does she get bones or rawhides, or does she ever chew up toys, towels, ect?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello Lisa, thank you for your time. i don't think she had gotten into anything, and her food has not changed. she also does not eat people food as far as i know. she is not spayed and her last cycle ended in late june. she does have rawhide bones however i don't think she has had one in the last two weeks. she is up on her vaccines also.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Great! Thanks for the additional information...I just have a couple more questions to see if I'm on the right track of what I'm thinking is going on:

Have you noticed any discharge from her vulva?

Have you noticed any blood in her urine?

Does her belly seem painful if you press on it gently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no i haven't noticed and discharge from her vulva, and there is no blood in here urine, she seems to have a stomach ache but i don't think she was in pain when i press on her belly.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again. I appreciate it.

With an unaltered female, the first thing we think of when we hear that she's lethargic and sick is pyometra.

The term 'pyometra' means pus in the uterus. This pus formation in the uterus results from infection, hormone imbalance or mucous buildup inside the uterus. Most dogs and cats suffering from pyometra are presented because of loss of energy, vomiting and/or diarrhea, increased thirst and poor appetite.

Pyometras can be either open (where the cervix is open and there is drainage) or closed (cervix is closed, no drainage, and dog is very sick). If your dog is licking her vulva I suspect it is open, but there is always the chance it will close. If she's not paying any attention to her vulva at all, then it's probably closed. From your description of the fact you're not seeing any discharge and there's no noticable blood in the urine makes me feel that this could be a closed pyometra...which, unfortunately, is more dangerous than an open one.

With an open pyometra, you probably wouldn't see anything on x-rays as the pus is draining out. An ultrasound would likely show a thickened uterus and fluid, but the x-ray isn't that good for detail like that. An open pyometra also might not show any changes in bloodwork, particularly early on. With a closed one you would expect an increase in white blood cells, but not necessarily early on, and of course, the only way to know for sure if she's got an increase in her white blood cells is through blood work at the vet.

My suggestion is to get your girl to an emergency vet as soon as you can. If she does, in fact, have a pyometra and it is left untreated, it could very well rupture and kill her.

Of course, I also understand that not everyone can run to an emergency vet (because there may not be one in your area), and if that's the case, as long as she remains as stable as she is right now, you could wait until morning and then find a vet in your area that is open on the weekend and have them take a peek at her then, but I would not wait longer than tomorrow...just to be safe.

I hope this helps.

Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jinx. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN