Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My dog ate about 10 cherry pits about 3-4 days ago. (I left

My dog ate about 10 cherry pits about 3-4 days ago. (I left them in a napkin lying around.) He is a 65-pound shepherd, rotweiller, lab mix. 5 years old. He is on rimadyl 2/x day for inflammation in his joints. He has seemed normal -- bladder, bowel, energy, eating, everything -- but I just want to check because I just realized that they could be poisonous. Do I need to do anything at this point? How fast would they have moved through his system?

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

The amount of cyanide in cherry pits is very, very small. Even in a small dog it would take a lot of pits to cause any issue. Plus the cyanide is on the inside, so the pits have to have a crack or something to even release the toxin.

Dr. Scarlett :

If your dog is otherwise acting normal, I don't expect him to have any problems. After 4 days, it is likely he's passed the pits, or soon will.

Customer:

So you don't feel that I need to worry -- at this point? Or do anything special other continue to watch him?

Dr. Scarlett :

I wouldn't worry at all. If you want to check his poop, you are welcome to it! :) But 10 cherry pits in a 65 pound dog just shouldn't be an issue.

Customer:

OK -- great!

Dr. Scarlett :

Have a good weekend now!

Customer:

Thank you so much. Really appreciate it!

Hi Janis,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Scarlett