Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Hi Jane, would u please recommend a strong harness for a Siberian

Hi Jane, would u please recommend a strong harness for a Siberian Husky. She is impossible to walk w/o one.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

HiCustomer

.

I most certainly can. I'm also going to go ahead and give you some instructions that might help as far as leash training goes. The harnesses that I like to recommend for dogs that pull are no pull harnesses that have the loop on the chest. Much like the head collars you see, if a dog tries to pull straight ahead, the leash being attached to the chest area helps pull them back around toward you and thwarts their pulling since they are not moving forward. Here is a site that reviews a few choices in front clip harnesses.

http://seespotshine.blogspot.com/2011/01/front-clip-harnesses-updated-reviews.html

.

I am also going to give you instructions on how to get a dog to properly walk on a leash. I am assuming she pulls. If your dog is pulling while walking then a little retraining is in order. It's a matter of getting your dog to want to come with you regardless of the leash being attached. You will get multiple answers depending on whom you talk to as opinions differ on the best method to solve this problem. Some experts will suggest a Halti (head collar) which can injure the neck. Others use no pull harnesses which are fine.. I personally believe in establishing control over the dog with training. I use a chain collar for training purposes. For strong stubborn dogs, some trainers recommend a prong collar.

.

Number one, put your dog on a leash before leaving the house. Make your dog sit or lie down before leaving. You walk out first and the dog should follow you out. With a proper walk, the dog should be right at your side or slightly behind. You dog should be paying attention to you, frequently glancing at you to be sure you haven't changed your mind about where you are going. I will be using the word correction. A correction will indicate a short quick tug and release of the leash. It is meant to remind the dog that she is supposed to be paying attention to you. Initially, keep training sessions short and where there will be minimal distractions even if it is just in your yard. A walk should be fast paced and not a stop and start exercise. The dog should not be investigating, sniffing or socializing on the walk. Walk to a destination and allow the dog some time at the destination to do those things.

.

I use a food and praise reward system. I use almost paper think pieces of hot dog as the oil from them coats your hand and keeps the smell on your hand. Let the dog smell the treat in your closed hand. This gives your dog motivation to be by your side. she should be happy to follow your hand around the yard. Keep your leash short, but without pressure on it. If the dog starts moving away, a correction toward you should be made. Give her a treat every once in a while initially so she understands walking by your side get her treats. Try to time it so it is before she gets distracted. If she starts to glance elsewhere, give a correction and tempt her with sight of the treat. When she is back to paying attention, reward her with the treat in a low calm "good girl". No excitement to your voice as you want her calm. Repeat when you think his attention is shifting. As she gets better at paying attention to you and your "smelly hand", make corrections giving more praise and less treats. Before you know it, your dog will be walking right next to you all the time, with or without treats. When you stop, praise your dog with your voice or a few pats to let your dog know how good she has done. You can train her to sit or lay down when you stop if you want as well. This helps prevent his trying to run off if you stop to talk to someone.

Once your dog is pretty much always walking at your side, you will want to make a correction any time she stops paying attention to you. For instance, they are looking at a cat in a yard, give a correction so they look at you. if she is busy looking ahead and hasn't glanced at you for awhile, give a correction and reverse your direction. Do not stop and wait for the dog, just a quick correction and reverse and walk. They learn to keep an eye on you as well as on what else is going on. Try an be confident during these training sessions. Try not to look down at your dog but more out of the corner of your eye. Act like you are paying attention to the scenery. It sounds strange, but it does work.

Once your dog is doing well in the yard, try adding a few distractions such as family in the yard, then progress to another dog around continuing to correct if she even looks like she is going to glance at the other dog. If you wait till she is already distracted, it is too late. You have to catch her before she focuses on the other animal or person. It is a lot of work and takes lots of practice but it does work.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

.

This method should take care of your problem and with the harness, I would expect not to have much issues at all.

.

.

.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have u personally used the sense-Asion harness ? reviews seems to favor this one for me . And where is the best place tp purchase this harness ? Also, is three any certain site u use to buy your training products ?I use Foster and Smith currently.
HiCustomer
.
The only dog I personally use a harness with is our Chihuahua adn I don't use a front clip harness on him. However, I have clients that do use front clip harnesses and a few of them do use the Sense-ation harness and a couple use the freedom harness. Both groups have been happy with their choices. The freedom group seems to like the ability to have a leash in front and one still on the back. However, huskies have been bred to pull and a harness that distributes the weight of the item on the other end of the harness, you can actually trigger their instincts to pull. I would get the brand name because I have heard that the look alikes are not as effective for some reason as the name brang
Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a million :)