Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

After my dog was running in our pasture, she got really red

After my dog was running in our pasture, she got really red eyes. I think it's allergies. can I use human allergy eyedrops? If not, what is recommended?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech for 30+ years. I will be happy to assist you.

Can you tell me if there is any lumps or bumps that you can see or feel?

Any sneezing?

Are the eyes runny?

Does everything eles seem normal?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No lumps or bumps.

No sneezing.

Occasionally rubbing nose on carpet.

Eyes red and just a little bit runny.

Not as hungry for normal food, but takes treats.Wink

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Thank-you for the information. For the eyes you can use some Sterile Saline eye drops without preservatives. The saline is safe and can be used 2-3 times a day to soothe the eyes. You can ask the pharmacist to direct you to the Sterile Saline Eye Drops(they are over the counter). Many of the eye drops made for humans can be problematic for pets. If the eyes continue to stay red, I would have them checked out, because the red eyes can indicate some other issues, like conjunctivitis, corneal abrasion or corneal ulceration.

If this is the allergies, we can also help by giving 1 mg of Benedryl per pound of body weight. Normal dosage depends on severity of allergy attack and is 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight. Plain Benedryl comes in caplet or capsule form at 25 mgs per pill. If she weighs 50 pounds, you could give 2 caplets or capsules. I suggest using the caplets, since they can be cut if needed to adjust the dosage. This should help with the itchy eyes and her rubbing her face. If it continues, you may have to get something stronger from your Vet. This is allergy season for animals and humans alike. Hopefully the Benedryl at proper dosage and the Saline will help her feel better. Please let me know if you have further questions and I will be very happy to continue with you, until you feel I have rendered Excellent Service. Joan

Joan, Vet Tech
Experience: Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues