Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

my dog started vomiting water 2 weeks ago after a walk along

my dog started vomiting water 2 weeks ago after a walk along our coast, and did not want to eat, had diarrhea with looked tarred,i gave no food for 1 day, and got tablets against diarrhea from the vet. That stopped the diarrhea, but not the vomiting, the dog got twice in 4 days an antibiotic injection, and antivomiting pills. That helped for a while, but the vomiting comes back every two days, dog is not ill, no fever, and lively, no pain in abdomen, is supple. Even bland food comes out after 2 days.
Any suggestions for treatment
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Mumbles.

First!
Before throwing more drugs at this problem:

1. Got to get a fecal test done to rule-out possible giardia causing illness.

Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. Here is more detailed information about fecal testing:
Fecal Testing

2. With THIS MUCH repeated vomiting, abdominal x-rays are a must to check for a retained foreign body. This is a critical test.

3. I would now ask the vet to do a simple blood test called a PLI. It is very accurate for assessing for pancreatitis, a common cause of repeated vomiting, and would help to determine if Mumbles should be hospitalized.

Treatment:
Well, you are trying a bland diet.

I would start an antacid for sure.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

Also!
Not sure what antivomiting pill was prescribed, but one of the best and now most commonly prescribed by vets is the once a day medication called Cerenia. Excellent for vomiting!

Tarry colored feces suggests there was bleeding in the esophagus or ulceration in the stomach. So, also ask the vet to start Carafate (Sucralfate), which can help the stomach to heal.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I live in Aruba, so lab.procedures are not always available.

Would Kaomycin help, i will go back to the vet. here. The antivomiting pill is metoclopeamide.. Can I give liquid peptobismal, and if so how much dog weigths14 kilo.

Should there not be abdominal pain with a foreign object?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
There is actually infrequently pain with many foreign bodies.

Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory.
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more question, it can't be an viral infection? And what should I do then.

Thanks a lot, I will go tomorrow to the vet and see if he can make some x-rays next week (because of the weekend, that's how it works here)

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Libby,
I don't see many viral problems causing these symptoms in a adult dog.
Tends to be more of a younger puppy issue with viruses.

But, if not up-to-date on vaccines, and there is any incidence of infections like parvovirus in your area, that is a possibility. Treatment remains the same. You give the best supportive care possible including hospitalization on intravenous fluids.

Good Luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks again, vaccinations are up to date, every year distemper and parvo, so I lean more to an foreign object.

We'll see.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Agreed.
Or possible pancreatitis, which can be caused by eating something you don't know about or having recently ingested something fatty or oily.

Good Luck!