Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

my dog is 56 days and she is showing signs of labor.. this

my dog is 56 days and she is showing signs of labor.. this is her first litter.. she is 3 years old and she is a red nose pitbull.. her temperature was at 98.6 and now it is 100.4... she is restless ,paces but pating... what advice can you ter ve me

Hi Sir or Madam,

.

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.

I need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your responses, it will likely take 30-40 minutes to type my response. I hope you can be patient.

.

Is that 56 days from the first mating?

When was her temperature at 98.6?

Is the thermometer new?

Did you double check the temperature?

Is she still eating?

Has she been eating grass or vomiting up bile?

Has she had any small bowel movements today?

Have you seen any clear or whitish discharge?

If you have seen other discharge, what color is that?

Any pawing or digging at the ground?

Any contractions?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is 56days from her mating..her temp was 98.6 last night at 11pm.yes the thometer is new..no.i didnt ..yes but not lke before..no throwing up..yes she has used the restroom.she was wet earlier and it was clear...Yes she does it to her bed and covers..not that i know of...

Julia,

.

Puppies born before day 59 usually are not developed and strong enough to make it. Since she is at 56 days, lets hope she isn't in labor just yet. There are some things that can throw off the temperature. One thing is not having the thermometer inserted far enough. It should be inserted about an inch or so. I use a digital so it beeps and lets me know but if you use one that does not beep, it should stay in for at least a full minute to accurately record the temperature.

.

The last week of the pregnancy, you should be able to easily feel pups moving around. You will see a clear or whitish discharge as well. The day before labor starts in earnest, you will frequently see a little loss of appetite and some vomiting of bile as they empty their stomach. The hormonal changes which trigger labor can cause nausea. Additionally, the dog's body tends to void the bowels as the first stage of labor start which is why I asked if she had small frequent bowel movements today.

.

I'm really hoping she is not in full blown labor or that she mated a bit earlier then you saw which might explain the symptoms. However, a drop to just 98.6 might well be just that the thermometer wasn't quite in far enough. My dog's temperature normally drops down to at least 98.2F. I'm going to give you a site that goes over this and whelping in great detail.

. http://www.2ndchance.info/caninelaborstages.htm

http://www.labbies.com/reproduction1.htm

.

Here is an excellent site about whelping.

http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html

.

I would go ahead and monitor her closely tonight just in case it really was an accurate temperature. Otherwise, continue to take her temperature and look for the other symptoms as well. Be sure to have your vet's number handy.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.