Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

i have a big malamute , he has had loose stool most his life

i have a big iam guessing about 150 pounds or more  malamute , he has had loose stool most his life he is 7 now, lately he throws up not often usually in morning, his stool is yellow an I noticed blood in it today vet ran a stool test said no worms ,he wants to eat , he drinks , seems lazy , also , tried rice thing I noticed rice in his diareha, I wormed him last week his stool was good for one day , vet checked today for worms in stool sample , none they say but he has loose stool all the time , and was very stinky till I gave him worm powder , now just loose an had blood in today

Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Has the vet done any x-rays?

Has he done any blood work?

Did they mention if they thought it could be IBD?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no I cant get him there till momday , iam just seeing what others say so I know alittle, seems he is like coughing lately alittle

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he is usually a mal that is too himself, but he wants me to rub his belly all the time lately

Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.

There are a couple things that come to mind with your big guy:

First, with the ongoing diarrhea for what sounds like a good part of his life, the first thing that springs to mind for be would be the possibility of something like Irritable Bowel Syndrome. This often presents with ongoing, long-term diarrhea and weight loss. Usually there is a test done to determine that the intestines are thickened, such as x-rays, ultrasounds or MRIs. However a first step could be to talk to your vet about getting him started on an antibiotic such as metronidazole or/and a steroid such as prednisone. These are commonly used to treat IBD and may help get things under control.

My second thought (and less likely option) is the possibility of an issue called protein losing enteropathy. If it's determined that he has this, they may decide to try using ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) inhibitors to see if they can lower the amount of protein that he's losing.

Since these illnesses (the IBD and PLE) are not common, there are many general practice vets who aren't familiar with them or how to treat them adequately. This is why I suggest getting a referral to a veterinary internist (they can sometimes be found at veterinary teching hospitals).

With both IBD and PLE, the vet will often suggest a special diet. I know that you've recently switched to a new one, but your vet (or the specialist) may want to look into feeding a no wheat (also called gluten free) diet. Looking into a novel protein such as fish, duck or venison may also work better than the more common options of chicken or beef.

If everything comes up negative, or if your vet doesn't think that it could be IBD or PLE, then it might be time for a referral to a veterinary internist. These are the folks who deal with unusual internal problems day to day and may have a better idea of what could be going on with him.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got blue wilderness salmon today , I hear so much about the mals needing the raw food stuff , hoping it not heartworm or something real serious

Heartworm doesn't generally present with diarrhea, so I'm hoping that we're going to find out that it's just a digestive issue.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and him!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

going to my vet tomorrow, but the change in food , to no grain, gave him probiotic yogurt, cottage cheese, cauliflower and carrots , he is 100 percent better, stool is not hard but it is formed , still has a slime like on it , but 100 percent better, his ears are back up seems happy again,

Yay!!! I am happy to hear he's feeling better!!