Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

I have an older lab and noticed that his poop is not normal.

I have an older lab and noticed that his poop is not normal. It changed recently and is very soft, more like a soft mound or patty then regular dog poop. Is that just old age or is there something wrong with him. He seems to be the same.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

I like the saying "age is not a disease", meaning that we can't blame most things on the mere process of getting older.

Customer:

Great, thank you.

Drew :

Soft stools, cow-patty appearing, would definitely not be something associated with simply getting older.

Drew :

And we must look at the list of possible explanations as we would in any other age of dog.

Customer:

Okay

Drew :

Start with the basics -- fecal tests to check for parasites, imbalances in bacterial populations, etc,

Customer:

We have changed his dog food to a higher quality one

Customer:

Okay

Drew :

if that's all normal, it's an option to use a course of a dewormer anyway, such as Panacur, or to try pro-biotics (beneficial bacteria),

Drew :

plus fiber supplementation such as canned pumpkin,

Drew :

or a prescription diet such as Purina DCO.

Customer:

Fecal test, do I have that done at the vet

Drew :

If the problem persists, my next step would be blood tests to check for any internal organ problems, including kidney or liver issues,

Customer:

Do I just mix the pumpkin in with his regular food.

Drew :

yes, your vet needs to run those fecal tests.

Customer:

Okay

Drew :

yes, 1-2 tablespoons per meal is OK

Drew :

you can use a pro-biotic for people,

Drew :

such as Culturelle or Florastor, sold in any pharmacy,

Drew :

1 capsule daily.

Drew :

or you can order veterinary pro-biotics

Customer:

The kidney or liver can affect his bowel movements. I will look for a pro-biotic.

Drew :

such as ProViable.

Drew :

Kidney or liver problems don't "directly" affect stool formation,

Drew :

but any metabolic abnormalities can affect the function of the intestinal tract.

Customer:

Okay, I will also talk to the vet about a dewormer and a fecal matter test.

Customer:

I see, okay

Drew :

sounds like a good way to start!

Customer:

I guess the first step would be to get him to the vet! Thank You!

Drew :

you're very welcome -- best wishes to you and Doobie!

Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.