Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog cant get up on his own and can barely walk. Hes done

My dog can't get up on his own and can barely walk. He's done an X-ray and MRI and vets can't see anything wrong.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

What part of Canada do you live in?

Did they only do the blood work for Myasthenia Gravis?

Does Charlie ever get ticks on him?

Are there deer near your home?

How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We live in edmonton, no there are no deer around and we've never seen any ticks on him.
This has been going on for few months now and vets can't find an answer. Vets have done other basic blood tests but i don't remember the details.
Has he had any anorexia?

Was he doing any limping previously?

Have you noticed any fever or other signs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He was still eating fine until about a week ago. No fever and we saw limping when it first started.
I forgot to mention, we saw this right after his surgery when he swallowed an underwear. Could that have anything to do with it?
Thanks for the information. It's very helpful.

This honestly and truly sounds like Lyme or Anaplasma to me. The two big symptoms your dog has: transient lameness in the limbs and the sudden onset lethargy are both huge red flags when it comes to diagnose these tick borne diseases. There's a website that outlines some of the symptoms here: http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/lyme.htm

One of this problems is that a dog can have a silent infection for years before they become symptomatic...which means he could have gotten a tick on him last summer, it could have transfered the disease and it could have simply been dormant all this time. Since tick borne disease can lay dormant, it's often triggered with another illness or something like surgery that can impact the immune system, which gets the illness to flare up.

I did some research while I was waiting for your reply and did find that tick borne diseases are on the rise in Edmunton, Alberta. You can read more about it here:

http://www.health.alberta.ca/health-info/lyme-disease.html

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/opinion/blogs/Alberta+expands+tick+testing+program+looking+Lyme+disease/8373509/story.html

I think the best thing to do is to have him tested for tick borne disease. In my opinion, one of the best (and fastest) options for that is the 4DX test. It only takes 3 drops of blood and 8 minutes for you to have a 'for sure' answer. You can read more about 4DX testing here: http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_us/smallanimal/inhouse/snap/4dx.jsf?SSOTOKEN=0

I strongly suspect he's going to come up positive. Then it's just a few weeks (usually 31 days, actually) of Doxycycline, and he should be back to normal.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He's had all his vaccinations though since he was very young, I find it hard to believe the vets in edmonton didn't check for this in his blood tests.
There's no vaccination for Anaplasmosis or Ehrlichia...and you only get a Lyme vaccine if you specifically ask for it.

It's actually common for vets to not check...they may not be aware of how widespread tick borne disease is...a few years ago, we never saw it in places like Hawaii....but now we do, but some vets may not realize it's as far spread as it is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was just checking anaplasmosis and I remember my vet checking for white blood cell counts. But I will call him in the morning to ask him.
Tick borne disease isn't something they can test for in the clinic...unless they use the 4DX test....they'd have to send it out to a lab...but yes, I'd have them check into that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX ask my vet if he's checked that already or not. Thank you for your prompt answer.
You're very welcome!

Please do me a favor...even after you rate/accept my answer, please let me know what the vet finds...I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for tick borne illnesses!!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech for 30+ years and wanted to offer some other possibilities that my esteemed collegue did not offer. Menengitis is an infection that can be bacterial or viral and would not be seen in blood work or the work up that you have stated your Vet has done. I would speak with the Vet about a Spinal Tap to look for Bacterial, Fungal or Viral Menegitis or another infection that can affect the dog Neurologically and cause the weakness and partial paralysis. This is a link that you can look over and discuss with your Vets about possible causes of this problem that is affecting Charlie: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/paralysis-in-dogs.html

I hope this will shed some further light on what may be happening and gives you some direction on questions and tests that may help find the cause. Joan

Joan, Vet Tech
Experience: Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues