Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

MY dog has a bumps partly on his body and at first seems unconscious

MY dog has a bumps partly on his body and at first seems unconscious because of the bumps and what I did is I massage his body and my first impression is having an allergy, but my question is what is the first aid that I can give it to him? And how long does the bumps stays? Theresa
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Lilo

If these bumps appeared very quickly, within hours, than I am highly suspicious for a hypersensitivity reaction. For example, like from an insect bite or sting. They actually can get worse.

Bumps can also be due to a pyoderma, a bacterial skin infection.

If an allergic reaction you can try giving benadryl antihistamine.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

But, if the bumps get worse or you observe:
- vomiting
- facial swelling
- heavy panting or breathing difficulty

that would warrant an emergency vet visit.
Sorry to hear about this concern Theresa.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Andy,

I am so relieve for the response of my question. I greatly appreciate of extending you help for Lilo. God bless you Dr. Andy and hope that you can help more.

Thank you so much,

You are very welcome Theresa.
Wish I could do more to help, but limited by the internet of course.

Good Luck