Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

MY dog has a bumps partly on his body and at first seems unconscious

MY dog has a bumps partly on his body and at first seems unconscious because of the bumps and what I did is I massage his body and my first impression is having an allergy, but my question is what is the first aid that I can give it to him? And how long does the bumps stays? Theresa
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Lilo

If these bumps appeared very quickly, within hours, than I am highly suspicious for a hypersensitivity reaction. For example, like from an insect bite or sting. They actually can get worse.

Bumps can also be due to a pyoderma, a bacterial skin infection.

If an allergic reaction you can try giving benadryl antihistamine.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

But, if the bumps get worse or you observe:
- vomiting
- facial swelling
- heavy panting or breathing difficulty

that would warrant an emergency vet visit.
Sorry to hear about this concern Theresa.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Andy,

I am so relieve for the response of my question. I greatly appreciate of extending you help for Lilo. God bless you Dr. Andy and hope that you can help more.

Thank you so much,

Theresa

You are very welcome Theresa.
Wish I could do more to help, but limited by the internet of course.

Good Luck