Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine

My dog just peed on the bed, i think, this the first time should

Customer Question

My dog just peed on the bed, i think, this the first time should i worry?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 11 months ago.

Theresa :

Hello. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Theresa :

Did you notice any blood in the urine? Has she been drinking more lately? Any vomiting or decline in appetite?

Theresa :

Is she spayed?

Customer:

No Blood, light color sheet, only a little more, however it has been very hot in the house 30c, no vomiting, still eats like a pig, yes she is fixed

Theresa :

While it is not common for a dog to do this as much as it is a cat. Being that she hasn't had an issue like this before I would first suspect a possible medical problem. I do recommend having a urinalysis performed by your family veterinarian to rule out a bladder infection. This is the most common cause of urinary accidents in dogs who are well potty trained.

Theresa :

Was she laying down when this happened or did she actively squat to relieve herself?

Customer:

she was laying down

Theresa :

Did she seem aware that it was happening?

Customer:

not that i could tell but i was reading at the time

Customer:

she didn't pee while i was at work

Theresa :

This may be happening more than you think but not as much as this time. It is very possible that she has urinary incontinence issues.

Theresa :

This is most common in the female dog. It is related to an imbalance of hormones.

Theresa :

Since she didn't actively try to urinate then it likely dribbled out unknowing to her until of course it touched the skin.

Theresa :

Dogs with urinary incontinence are prone to urinary tract infections because the urinary sphincter doesn't fully close. This might be why you are only just noticing it.

Customer:

would be okay to wait on the testing, short on fund seeing that i am trying to pay off a major operation for her TLPO

Theresa :

Keep an eye on her and try to help increase her water intake.

Theresa :

You can give her a cranberry capsule once daily to increase the urinary pH.

Customer:

could this just be one of thing, would cranberry juice be fine?

Theresa :

To help increase her liquid intake add water to her dry food, offer chicken broth mixed with water or alone and keep her water fresh.

Theresa :

The juice has too much sugar.

Theresa :

The tablet or capsule would be better and are usually only a few bucks at your local grocery or drug store.

Theresa :

It can be urinary incontinence without infection yes.

Theresa :

If her water intake significantly increases or she has a need to urinate more often or seems to strain then we run into problems. If you aren't seeing these signs now I don't see why you can't wait and see how things develop.

Customer:

should i still worry if this only happens tonight

Theresa :

This isn't something that you need to panic over if that is what you mean.

Theresa :

Just see how things evolve and they may not become anything more than a little incontinence and it could happen fairly infrequently.

Customer:

so get the cranberry pills, see if we can ride this out if not call the vet after payday

Theresa :

If it does become a frequent issue then a urinalysis would be recommended to rule out an infection and she may need a supplement to help control it should it become bothersome. One of those would be Proin. However, lets see how things go.

Theresa :

Exactly, increase her water intake as well by the suggestions given above.

Customer:

is there anything else i could do

Theresa :

These should be the only things you will need for now.

Customer:

okay thank you

Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience: 19+ years experience in small animal medicine
Expert:  Theresa replied 11 months ago.
Hi Jessie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Theresa
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Not sure, but we have vet appointment tomorrow. I was wondering what could cause my dog to pee on the walk?

Expert:  Theresa replied 11 months ago.
Is she just dribbling out urine on the walk too?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes, however while we were at the vet they took a urine sample and it was clean.

Expert:  Theresa replied 11 months ago.
Did they discuss urinary incontinence with you or recommend trying her on one of the medications to help with the urethral sphincter?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

not at this time, since of the two pees in the house it stopped. we are figuring the one on the walk is because we worked out hard.