Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I was gone for the weekend. I have 3 dogs. When I returned

I was gone for the weekend. I have 3 dogs. When I returned I noticed that there was diarrhea in the backyard. Today, Tuesday, I noticed my 10 month old dog walking funny. She was slightly drooling. She ate dinner tonight but not in her usual enthusiatic way. She is not getting up when the doorbell rings .. very unusual. It looks like she just went pee on her mat. Her head wobbles a little when I hold it in my hands.
I am very worried. What might it be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Can you tell me what color her gums are?

Was someone watching them at home or were the dogs boarded?

Any chance she could have gotten in to anything toxic including poisons, chemicals, antifreeze, medications etc?

Any tilt to her head?

Can you notice any injuries?

Any redness in the ears?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Her gums look pink.

The dogs were at home but the person watching them had people over and I believe had a small party.

She could have gotten into toxic items. I wasn't here and am not really sure what went on when I was gone.

No actual tilt to the head. A wobbly head.

I don't notice any injuries.

There is no redness in her ears. Over the last several weeks I have used a product called "Ear Mite Remedy." I have however not used it within the last week.

Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

The symptoms you are describing especially the wobbly head and drooling make me very concerned that she either got into something toxic or if there where alcohol and or drugs available that is possible as well.

Without knowing what she may have been exposed to it is difficult to advise you on exactly what may be going on.

The best thing to do would be to get her in to the local ER so they can do a hands on exam with some blood work to look for any types of toxins and provide necessary treatment and supportive care.
I would hate to tell you just to monitor her at home and then see her get worse.

If she had ear mites this can effect the inner ear causing vestibular syndrome . Click here

If you can not get her seen tonight you can try Pepcid AC at a dose of 0.25=0,5 mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours to help with nausea( which could be indicated by the drooling) and have her seen first thing in the morning.

I wish I could tell you what was going on for sure but unfortunately that is not possible.

Please let me know how she is doing I am worried about her. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer