Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

What can cause a Dogs muzzle to swell up?

What can cause a Dog's muzzle to swell up?
Submitted: 11 months ago via Dog-Health-Handbook.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 months ago.

Hi Sir or Madam,

.

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.

This would be considered facial swelling. Facial swelling can be caused by infection, an allergic reaction to a bug bite or sting, bruising, mouth problems, cancer or muscle inflammation or due to acetaminophen toxicity. If it is possible your dog was bit by a snake, you will need to take the dog into the Vet immediately.

.

If it is due to infection you should find a cut or puncture somewhere. This swelling will often be warm and painful and your dog should have a fever normally with this type of swelling. Your vet will need to take care of the injury and possibly start your dog on antibiotics.

.

Swelling due to an allergic reaction is frequently caused by an insect bite or sting. Often the whole head will swell and it is generally not painful though your animal may be itchy. If you feel this may have happened you can give your dog Benadryl dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours and see if that helps. If it doesn’t your vet should be consulted.

.

If the swelling is associated with acetaminophen poisoning (Tylenol) you often see itchy paws and your dogs gums may appear brownish. See your vet immediately if yoru dog has ingested acetaminophen. .

.

If it is caused by a bruise then a trauma would have occurred and in light colored animals you may be able to see a discoloration of the skin. I doubt if the whole m.uzzle would swell.

Certain cancers can develop on the head causing swelling in a specific area. Swelling under the jaw may be a swollen lymph node. Since it is the muzzle, this shouldn't be an issue. Inflammation of a muscle is another possible cause for a dog’s face to swell and typically it is the lower jaw or the top of the head that swells.

.

An abscessed tooth can sometimes cause lumps or swelling of the muzzle or jaw. You will want to check your dog’s mouth and look for any broken or discolored teeth. If you find any, buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain until your dog can be seen by your Vet. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen.

As you can see there are many causes for swelling in this area and most will require that you seek medical treatment. If this was my dog, I'd check for any issues with the teeth and if I don't see any, I would try the benadryl. Many dogs, especially larger breeds, tend to snap at bees and frequently are stung in the mouth or muzzle. Many have no adverse reaction but a lot of them do experience some sort of reaction to the sting.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/allergic-reaction-insect-2/page1.aspx

.

If you find the sting site, you could put a paste of baking soda on the area or even apply ice packs but not for longer than 5 minutes at a time for ice packs.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

.

Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist