Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

my dog a 14yr old silky terrier has bulging anus,normal stools,hair

my dog a 14yr old silky terrier has bulging anus,normal stools,hair loss on tail,all almost hair loss on body,skinny ,has lost a lot weight,ravishing appetite ,going blind ,hard hearing,back legs slipping when he stands and front legs staring same he also gets a runny eyes, he smells even after bath ,he has starting knocking into things
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. The poor hair coat and tail could be due to thyroid issues, parasites, or possible fleas. The odor is likely caused by the same problem as the fur, and a keratolytic or antifungal shampoo might help. The runny eyes are likely due to decreased tear production in old age, so the mucus production increases to compensate. You can give artificial tears drops three times daily and see if that helps. The issue with the loss of vision and hearing and the legs slipping are things we probably cannot help, so you can put area rugs around your house to help with traction and try not to move anything in your home to help a blind dog get around. The weight loss and ravenous appetite could be due to diabetes, so you can see your vet for some basic blood work to rule that out. Due to the combination of issues, though, I would ask you whether you feel your dog has a good quality of life. We may not be able to fix most of these issues, and if we can't, is your dog happy and comfortable? If your answer is no or you are not sure, I would have some discussions with your vet about when might be the time to put your dog down. Honestly, from what you have described, if this were my dog I might be considering that now. I'm so sorry your dog is having all these issues, and I wish you the best of luck. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks ann,

my hubby and i thought as much and after much deliberation have decided to put our darling boy to sleep this week,he has had a charmed 5 yrs travelling around oz since we aquired him from a refuge 5 yrs ago,once again thank you for your prompt answer we appreciate this

Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I am happy to help. I am so sorry you are having to make this difficult decision, and I wish you the best of luck. Hang in there. Please remember to rate my service.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005