Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My 4 year old Chihuahua was just to the vet 3 days ago. He

My 4 year old Chihuahua was just to the vet 3 days ago. He was only due for a heart worm test and it was discovered that he had a pretty progressed case of lymes disease. Since we left the vet, my dog has been walking slightly to the right. He shook his head like something was in his ear but only once and has not pawed at his ear. There is no discharge or odor and I cleaned his ear with four paws ear remedy to see if I could get anything out of it and I couldn't. I'm ruling out ear infection.
I believe this is serious though for 2 reasons: 1. my dog seems to run in the opposite direction when I call him to come inside and it takes him a while to realize where I am and 2. he has been walking into walls, trying to climb the stairs on the wrong side of the railing (but he realizes it and correct himself).
He seems fine other than that. I have no idea what is wrong with him and I am really worried.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

What medication did your vet put Domino on?

If you look right in his eyes...are his eyes still or do they sort of shimmy back and forth?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dompounded Doxycycline 100 mg, however I had to pick it up yesterday because they had to call me with the answer to the heartworm test so the symptoms started before he started the medication

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Are his eyes still or shimmying?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

S

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry...your answer didn't come through. Can you try again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

still

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.

From your description and the fact your dog has advanced Lyme Disease, I can't help but think that possibly the infection has affected his hearing ...or more specifically, the nerves affecting his ears.

It's very, very rare for a dog with Lyme disease to suffer hearing loss..but it does happen. I work/live in Northern MN, where we are on epidemic proportions of Lyme/Anaplasmosis and I've seen the disease impact a dog's hearing only once.

At this point, it might be a good idea to give your vet a call in the morning and have them just check his ears. If it comes up completely clear (no infection, ect), then odds are that this is related to Lyme disease. Unfortunately, if this is due to Lyme, there is a possibility that he won't regain his hearing...but I'd have your vet take a peek, just to be safe.

I hope this helps.
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification