Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog at about 15 mg of Adderall. He has thrown up the pill

My dog at about 15 mg of Adderall. He has thrown up the pill with just a sliver of it still missing. He has continued to throw up and is now only throwing up white foam stuff. Is there something else I should be doing? I feel just terrible.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

As you may or may not know, Adderall is actually a combination of four different stimulant medications (amphetamines). According to all the literature I've seen, you would start to see signs of Adderall toxicity at around 0.5mg/kg. So if your dog who weighed 42 pounds, a toxic dose would be approximately 9.5mgs, I'm not sure how much your dog weighs, but it sounds like he did only get a very small amount.

At this point, I don't think I'd be too concerned about it. You can keep an eye open for signs of toxicity such as hyperactivity, racing heart rate, panting or agitation and restlessness. If you see any of these signs, you need to have him seen at an emergency vet immediately. They'll get him started on IV fluids to flush the system and activated charcoal to bind to the ingested medication...however, as I said, the small amount he got probably won't cause those signs.

As for the vomiting...it's actually very, very common for a dog to continue to vomit in these cases. The best thing you can do is to limit the amount of water he gets and don't feed him. This will just get his stomach re-upset. Allowing the stomach to rest by not feeding/watering him until morning will get that vomiting to stop.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He is only 14.3 pounds and he is now shaking quite a bit and it seems trying to sleep? Could he be shaking just from throwing up?

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I do suspect that the shaking is from vomiting.

You've done all the right things...calling your vet and getting in touch with us here. I know how hard it is to watch your dog feel as sick as he is..but the fact he's trying to sleep is a good sign.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay thank you. So the shaking is normal? I just need to watch out for the other things you mentioned.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
The shaking can be a sign of muscle exhaustion..especially if he's been vomiting. I wouldn't be worried about it unless it continues after he's rested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If he is shaking as he sleeps that's okay? I'm sorry to ask you to be so specific, but its just hard to know. The shaking that he is doing just seems so violent.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
It's okay to ask questions....shaking when he's sleeping is possibly normal. The fact that he's been vomiting quite a bit makes me feel like it's probably from the vomiting (think about how shaky you get with the flu). Even while sleeping, I'm not too worried.

However, if he wakes up and is still shaking like he is, then you should have him seen by an emergency vet. If he were my dog...I'd sit tight and observe him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much! I truly mean it.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
You're very very welcome!!!

I'm sure he'll be feeling much better in the morning!
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Anne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlee. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN