Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts
As you may or may not know, Adderall is actually a combination of four different stimulant medications (amphetamines). According to all the literature I've seen, you would start to see signs of Adderall toxicity at around 0.5mg/kg. So if your dog who weighed 42 pounds, a toxic dose would be approximately 9.5mgs, I'm not sure how much your dog weighs, but it sounds like he did only get a very small amount.
At this point, I don't think I'd be too concerned about it. You can keep an eye open for signs of toxicity such as hyperactivity, racing heart rate, panting or agitation and restlessness. If you see any of these signs, you need to have him seen at an emergency vet immediately. They'll get him started on IV fluids to flush the system and activated charcoal to bind to the ingested medication...however, as I said, the small amount he got probably won't cause those signs.
As for the vomiting...it's actually very, very common for a dog to continue to vomit in these cases. The best thing you can do is to limit the amount of water he gets and don't feed him. This will just get his stomach re-upset. Allowing the stomach to rest by not feeding/watering him until morning will get that vomiting to stop.
I hope this helps.
He is only 14.3 pounds and he is now shaking quite a bit and it seems trying to sleep? Could he be shaking just from throwing up?
Okay thank you. So the shaking is normal? I just need to watch out for the other things you mentioned.
If he is shaking as he sleeps that's okay? I'm sorry to ask you to be so specific, but its just hard to know. The shaking that he is doing just seems so violent.
Thank you so much! I truly mean it.