Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

How do I help my dog with his anxiety. He is afraid all the

How do I help my dog with his anxiety. He is afraid all the time. We think he was mistreated as a pup. We got him from a shelter. We can not even train him because of his fear.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

How long have you had Buddee now?

Does he like other dogs?

Is he on a schedule?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have had him for about 3 weeks. He likes small dogs not big dogs though. We take him out about 3 times a day and he is feed ounce in the morning.

Do you know anything about his history before you got him?

Is he crate trained?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No we don't. We don't think so, he is happiest outside.

Do you crate him at all??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, if he is able we want to train him as a service dog. he goes with me to the office. ( it is a home office)

Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.

The important thing...maybe the MOST important thing to remember is that even though I'm sure you already love him...you are technically still a stranger and he is in a strange place, so taking it easy with him for a few months, until he adjusts to you and his forever home. I know that you want to take him out and take him for walks and introduce him to people...but this can overwhelm these unsocialized little guys pretty fast. Imagine if you were dropped in the middle of Russia...you don't know anyone, you don't know the customs, and you don't speak the language...you'd be a little overwhelmed, no matter how nice everyone was. This is what Buddee is dealing with.

With my little guy, the first thing I did was get him a DAP collar to help with his anxiety over the new life he had. These are collars that are impregnated with a man-made version of the dog appeasing pheromone, which is a pheromone that nursing bitches give off to their pups to help them feel calm and secure. It's something that humans can't smell, but it has an amazing effect on dogs with anxiety and other issues. Although you can find them at your vet's office..you can also find them online at places like Amazon.com and Ebay for much cheaper. Just make sure they're DAP brand, as they seem to work better than some other versions.

I would also get him a regular, hard sided kennel for wherever he spends his time. I know that you may be worried that Buddee will view it as punishment or something...but to him, a kennel is safe...it's what a dog is hardwired to go to when they feel overwhelmed..so it's where he's going to want to retreat there to feel safe. My little dog was HORRIBLE until I got him a kennel...I put it in an out-of-the-way spot and when he was feeling nervous or scared, he would go there, knowing that he wouldn't be bothered there. At this point, Buddee is going to view it as a den...somewhere safe.

I'd also get him involved in a basic obedience class. Not because you want him to learn to sit and stay (although that's super nice too), but because these kinds of classes will build the bond between you and Buddee and will help him build self confidence. Terriers, possibly more than any other breed, love to have a job, and get a great feeling of satisfaction doing one...what you're going to learn in these classes you can take home with you. Telling him to sit might be a fun thing for you, but for him, it's a job. That will help him come out of him shell a bit.

Finally...make sure you keep all his meetings with new people on his terms for now. If he's timid, allow his to be. Ask new people to avoid looking at him, talking to him, or trying to pet him. For a frightened dog, having someone invade his personal space will be a super intimidating thing. Ask new people to just sit and ignore him. If he comes near them, they can toss him a bit of a tasty treat (My dog loves the freeze dried beef liver you can pick up at any pet store), but not to talk to him or try to pet him. Eventually, he'll associate new people with something good (the treats!!) and will be more likely to want to socialize with them.

I hope this helps...and if you have any other questions about Buddee, please don't hesitate to ask.

Hi Angel Davis,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddee. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he gets a littel better every day so we are hopefull.

I'm happy to hear that!!!