Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

2 of my Beagle pups (7 months old) ingested some of a tarpaulin.

2 of my Beagle pups (7 months old) ingested some of a tarpaulin. They are not very peppy, kind of sluggish. One has eatin about 1/4 of his normal intake in the last 32 hrs, the other hasn't eatin at all in the last 32 hrs. They are both drinking water. Some vomiting and loose stools. It has been in the low 90's here and we have a covered area and been keeping the concrete cool and adding ice to the water. Any ideas?

Dr. G : Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.
Dr. G : First a few questions: have you seen any of the tarp in the stool yet? Any blood in the vomit or stool?
Customer:

Yes, I have seen some in the stool. No blood in the vomit or stool. The vomit out of the one not eating at all was bright yellow. The other 4 beagles are all fine.

Dr. G : I see. Typically in this situation, time is the major treatment. Since there is some in the stool, then it is moving as it should. What i recommend doing for now is feeding small amounts of plain boiled chicken or ground beef and white rice in small amounts for the next 24 hours to help calm the stomach. You can also give them both 1/2 of a 10 mg famotidine (pepcid AC) tablet to reduce stomach acid and also help settle the stomach. If the vomiting continues for another 24-48 hours, then anti-emetic medication from your vet and/or x-rays may be necessary
Dr. G : the famotidine may help with any possible nausea and may thus increase appetite, however it may take some time as the GI tract can be uncomfortable with a tarp moving through
Customer:

will Omeprazole or Zofran work? I currently have both

Dr. G : I would start with omeprazole, if vomiting continues for the next 24 hours, then zofran could be given
Dr. G : if you have capsules, a single omeprazole capsule once a day is fine
Customer:

Do you think it could be anything else wrong with them? The heat and tarp are the only things I could tell it may be.

Dr. G : It is likely from the tarp
Dr. G : if they ate any tarp, this is most likely the problem
Customer:

Ok, thank you so much!! I am one worried momma!!

Dr. G : Youre very welcome. I wish you the best with your pups. Have a great day!
Customer:

one last question, will plain crackers work too?

Dr. G : I would avoid the plain crackers if possible, plain boiled rice would be much better