Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog POSSIBLY ate (ONE) 200 MG Ibuprofen. I found one on

My dog POSSIBLY ate (ONE) 200 MG Ibuprofen. I found one on the floor that was not touched, and I am assuming she probably did not eat any. If she did, it would have been maximum 1 200 mg Ibuprofren . Its been about 24 hours since that could have happened. She is eating, drinking etc normally. She has not thrown up or had any stomach upset. What is the window of waiting to see if symptoms occur? and am I in the clear since its been 24 hours? She is small, so would it have affected her already?

I do not no for sure she even ate one, but if she had any, it was only one but I highly doubt it.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Riley.

Well, I would have really expected some symptoms of distress by now. Primarily, vomiting, diarrhea or loss of apppetite.

Also, if Riley was supposed to get ibuprofen, the typical dose is no more than 4 mg per pound. So, @ 13 pounds that is 52mg, and she maybe ate 200mg. Very possible, she did not eat it at all.

Here's extra information about ibuprofen toxicity:
Ibuprofen Toxicity

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so since its been 24 hours and she has had no symptoms at all, do you believe I am probably safe EVEN if she did eat one 200 mg? I really do not know if she ate one, because one 200mg tablet was on the floor when I went into the bedroom. I tried to show her the pill and she put her nose to it. I am expecting she didnt eat.

Since she has shown no symptoms is it likely that she didnt eat it. If she did eat it, is it over the amount of hours that i shouldnt worry?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Leah,
Not 100%. I would still be keeping an eye out for any diarrhea, and if the diarrhea has any blood in it.

But, certainly a positive that no illness has started.

I would feel a bit better if zero symptoms by 72 hours.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's on metrozonidale from some stomach discomfort a few days ago. Would the blood in diaharea still occur if she's on this med? She's on it for another few days
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Leah,
Good question. Maybe not. But! If a high enough dose was ingested, yes, I would still expect some transient diarrhea with or without blood.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if something is wrong than I won't know of the dose was low? I'm worrie the meds will cover it up? She had some gastritis earlier in the week.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
It's okay if medications cover it up!
As long as she is doing okay, nothing else matters.

I do not suspect the dose ingested would result in organ toxicity. I am only concerned about development of vomiting or diarrhea.

I hope my responses have been satisfactory.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so worst case scenario is diahrea and vomiting? No severe symptoms that would require immediate action? The dosage wasnt high enough for that?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Leah,
That is my best guess. I can't say 100% since I have not evaluated your pet in person or performed any blood testing, but it does seem promising if no symptoms so far.

Generally, only diarrhea or vomiting, with more mild toxicity.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I spoke to you a few days ago. My dog had possibly eating one 200mg ibuprofen. This was on Wednesday night. She has shown very little symptoms. No throwing up, no diahrea. The only thing ive noticed is slightly dilated pee (a little less yellow) but that could just be from drinking more, I havent really noticed. Otherwise she seems to be herself. Would I have seen more severe symptoms by now? and am i NOW in the clear?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Leah,
Symptoms of vomiting or diarrhea should have happened already. So, that is great.

Would it still be nice to get a basic blood test? I think so.

But, overall, your in much better shape especially if eating and drinking okay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been to the vet so many times in the past few weeks, for just basic vacinations as well as her incident with the blood in her poop early in the week that that situation occured. When can I feel out of the woods completely? You only said overall, your in much better shape. So when can I feel 100 percent comfortable that she is fine? Would it be bad to not do the blood test? I really do not want to have to take her back in, its embaressing and its cost so much.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Leah,
I could say right now.
But, without basic testing no one can legally say she is 100% out of the woods.

It would be like saying a person ingested a toxin, they are eating and perfectly fine a few days later, but how do we know there wasn't even a little impact on the organs without testing.

Now, even if there was impact on the organs, they can often recover just fine. How long? No clue. It could be days to weeks. But, that is all guessing without blood testing.

It's not bad to not do the blood test.
It would be bad if she was actively sick. Then, blood testing would be critical.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand legally you can not say she is 100 percent out of the woods. But 4 days in with zero symptoms, is she almost 100 percent out of the woods? I am nervous about not doing a blood test, but I honestly cant spend the couple hundred of dollars again. Already spent about 400 this month. I just want to know im not doing the wrong thing, by not taking her in for blood work. If you can atleast tell me you are pretty sure she is fine, and will be fine, I'll feel comfortable. She also has a sensitive stomach, so if it would have caused damage I think it would have been known in her

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Shes eating like a horse, and keeping herself hydrated. Her poop is fine, her gums are pink and she seems OK. I just want to know that at this point, I can stop worrying.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Leah,
For protection of my license, I cannot say. It would be unethical for me to say yes and accidentally miss lead you.

You simply will have to continue monitoring her for another week or so.

Best we can do.

If I say pretty sure, and I am wrong, I can have a lawsuit. I have restrictions on how much I am permitted to say online by the veterinary medical board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand but generally in most cases if a dog was going to have toxic symptoms or symptoms in general they would have happened by now? In most cases? 4 days in
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Leah,
In the cases I have seen, I am happy to hear that a pet is not exhibiting any vomiting or diarrhea this many days after ingestion.

However, because of the amount ingested, I would have recommended blood testing on my patients. It gives my clients an added level of comfort. Gives me an added level of comfort.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand the blood testing, but I was not 100% sure she even ingested any. I found one on the floor and I put it in front of her and she put her nose up to it. So she possibly had 1 200mg Advil, but possible she had none. I'm not sure if I mentioned that part.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I'm actually quite suspicious that none was ingested based on amount ingested and body weight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean? You think she didn't ingest any?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Exactly what you said. You are not confident she even ingested one. I am not confident either she ate a pill either.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You believe she likely did not ingest any based on the fact that she is 12 pounds and had no symptoms? Sorry for some reason my emails are coming back chopped up
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is what I am saying.
Of course, I have no clue. Just a suspicion.

I hope my responses have been helpful. I will need to leave for a few hours, do you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No: thank you for your patience
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
you are very welcome