Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My XXXXX XXXXX is holding her right leg up . We took her to

My XXXXX XXXXX is holding her right leg up . We took her to the vet . Steroids for 7 day , may have swollen disc in neck X-ray show nothing . She was able to walk on it . 2 days after steroids stopped she started holding leg again . Steroids for 7 more days this time they didn't help. Is there any other treatment or cause for this disorder ? She is 12 ans we are not to keen on surgery for her
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It does sound like this may be a disc issue. Disc herniations in the neck can cause a "root sign" where they hold up a leg. I usually treat these guys with 1-2 weeks of anti-inflammatory meds (steroids or non-steroidals), Gabapentin (nerve pain medication) and often Tramadol (opiate pain medication). Steroids alone are not typically enough, that's why I add the other meds.

I also give them 2-4 weeks of strict exercise restrictions. This means that they are crated the majority of the day with quick leash walks only. No jumping. No running around. I know it's easier said than done with a jack russel, but all it takes is one time jumping on/ off a bed or couch and you're right back to square one.

If the 2-4 weeks of exercise restrictions and pain management don't work, then I would see a neurologist. At that time, the next option is surgery to remove the disc.

Some people will also try acupuncture with the pain meds. That is a fair option as well. The jury is still out whether it helps or not, but some really do think it improves their comfort.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. How can I tactfully pass this info on to my vet? She did use the. Steroid treatment.
You can ask if there are other pain meds that may be helpful and bring up gabapentin and tramadol. See which ones she's comfortable with.