Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

Our 12 yr old neutered Springer is lethargic and restless,

Our 12 yr old neutered Springer is lethargic and restless, just doesn't seem himself, has labored breathing, no appetite, drinking water (lots), vomiting clear foamy water (2x in 5 hrs), did pee a normal color and amount, has dark brick red eye membranes, tongue and gums. He is wormed regularly (monthly), it has been 95+ and humid so he stayed inside today. Have not taken his temp yet. Will be taken to a vet in the am. Any suggesions? Thank you!
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Gimli. If there is any possibility of having him seen tonight he needs to be seen tonight. Even if that means seeing an emergency hospital. The lethargy, brick red mucus membranes are very concerning. Its possible that he is suffering a form of shock, or even heat stroke even if he stayed inside today. Waiting until morning is not recommended because whatever is happening could worsen by morning or even worse he may not make it until morning. With his age I would be also concerned about a tumor or cancer somewhere also causing these signs. So only a thorough exam, possible blood work and x rays can help determine what is going on. So again have him see immediately. The only thing you can do tonight at home is to keep him calm quiet and cool and offer water to keep him hydrated. I am just afraid this wont be enough.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If heat stroke (he was in air condiioning) what is he treatment. I could see shock, but from what? Infection? He was playing last night at 11:30pm when we got home. Would a pennicillin treatment be recommended? A thought, racoons have been around, but he is securely kenneled, no fighting.

At his age it could be from infection or toxin or kidney or liver disease. Both would be treated with IV fluids and possibly other medications depending on what his physical exam results are. Without knowing where or if an infection is present penicillin treatment is not recommended at this time. I would not give him antibiotics without knowing what was going on with him more as they can make things worse. Most likely not from a raccoon if he hasn't had any direct contact. A dog his age with the clinical signs you are stating is what i consider an emergency. It will be impossible to say what is wrong without an actual physical exam and tests and those will determine what treatments are necessary.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I understand. We are in a very rural area & our vet is a one man show. No sleep for him for awhile tonight. He figured before he dog had kidney disease starting. Thank you for the suggestions.

You are welcome. I wish you the best and I hope he can feel better very soon. please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns i would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit. Thank you