Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My 9 year old English Mastiff started having seizures a year

My 9 year old English Mastiff started having seizures a year ago. He is now having them almost daily. He has injured himself during them, lost bowel and bladder, bitten his tongue, etc. And because he is such a large dog it is hard to hold him "down" or somewhat still to prevent him from hurting himself. He is not on medication for this because in the past he throws up any and all medications when he is given them. I would feel guilty euthanizing him but I can't help this dog get up and outside or get to a safe place during a seizure at all since he weighs close to 180lbs. He is not "himself" anymore and I can't imagine that he is enjoying life like this. He is losing weight and having difficulty at times walking -almost as if his legs are numb and he wobbles at times. When is enough enough for him? I don't want to sink a lot of money into vet bills only to find out that he has cancer or something else that I can't treat financially anyway.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am so sorry to hear Jabba is not doing well. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Have you had him seen by the vet since the seizures started?

What medications has he thrown up in the past?

Would you be at least willing to try medications to control the seizures?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has been on all sorts of medications in the past for pain control post surgery and anxiety post surgery. Things like ativan, anti inflammatory meds, benadryl, and antibiotics. He was at the vet last year after things started and they didn't find any obvious cause for his seizures threw blood work back then. I can't afford doing MRI's for a dog his size- we always end up having to go to the University to find an MRI scanner and table that will fit dogs his size and that is costly. And if he did have a brain tumor it can't be removed- not at his age would I do it anyway. I would be willing to try a medication but if it ends up causing more trouble getting him to take it then I don't know if it would be worth it. I have been accidentally bitten in the past when he didn't want to take something. He has had allergic reactions to many medications in the past as well and this may be why he doesn't like to take pills.

Thank you for the additional information. I completely understand the problems associated with finding things like large MRI machines as I used to raise Fila's and had the same problems.

If blood work was clear then in all honesty the most likely cause is a brain tumor.
As for trying medication I would suggest at least giving it a shot to see if he holds it down. One thing you could try is the new pill pockets they work great with even hard to pill dogs. I normally give one or two with no pill and then one with the pill so they do not notice. Click here for pill pockets.

Repeated uncontrolled seizures can result in brain damage, elevated body temp that can cause problem with the blood clotting factors, and in many cases they go in to a seizure that does not stop and euthanasia may be the only option.

Would I go through very expensive testing at his age if he were my dog honestly no. The fact that you got him to this age is amazing and a testament to how well you have cared for him.I would however give your vet a call and maybe just get a weeks worth of medication and see if he is able to keep it down and how he does with it then at least you know you tried.
I know how hard it is to let go but if you can not get the seizures to stop that may be the best option. Often in the end letting go is the last act of love and kindness we can show them as much as it hurts.

I hope this helps and I am sorry you have to make this decision. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please remember to provide a rating before exiting the site.
Hi Lisa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jabba. How is everything going?