Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My dog has a bad case of Kennel Cough and is on antibiotics.

My dog has a bad case of Kennel Cough and is on antibiotics. I thought she seemed to be doing better today and got her appetite back, then we went for a walk and she started chomping down all the grass in sight until she threw everything up. now back in the house she is drooling and swallowing and licking her mouth a lot. Is this from the antibiotic or is something else going on here?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Liv.

Well, I would be quite suspicious for some bad stomach upset if attacking the grass. Now, we can't be 100% sure that the antibiotics are the cause (although I am very suspicious).

Many of the antibiotics used for upper respiratory infections including kennel cough, like doxycycline or clavamox, can be quite hard on the stomach.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Try to make sure you are always giving the antibiotics after Liv has had a good size meal.

Definitely, make sure your vet knows what happened, even if Liv gets better.

If the problem persists or you observe any difficulty breathing, there is always a pneumonia development concern.

So, our hope is that the problem is the antibiotic, but i'm not sure if one of the antacids above is good enough. I really like Pepcid or Prilosec in this situation.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Deborah,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Liv. How is everything going?