Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My Dog is on 40mg of Clomicalm (20mg x 2 pills). There are

My Dog is on 40mg of Clomicalm (20mg x 2 pills). There are times when she really stresses out and I was wondering if I could give her Alprazolam for those real stressful times as well? She's been on Alprazolam before, but she's only taken it as a quick remedy for storms, fireworks, etc.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Did the Alprazolam seem to work before?

Does she get the Clomicalm all the time, or is that just special times too?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She get's Clomicalm daily. The Alprazolam worked (although she acted like she was "high" and seemed unsteady on her feet) However, she would rest and be calmer.

I don't want her to be on Alprazolam all the time, but she's just been super stressed the past couple days due to my work shift change. She's not sleeping and relaxed and I'm not getting any sleep either.

I would just like to be able to give it to her occasionally as long as there are no dangerous side effects with the two medications.

Thanks for the additional information.

Since the Alprazolam had such an effect on her in the past, you should absolutely consult your vet before giving her the drug in combination with the Clomicalm.

I'd be worried that if she became too sedate it could actually have an impact on her heart rate and breathing, so making sure to consult your vet first is paramount. Your vet may decide that adding the Alprazolam is not the right medication, but there could be others you could use on a 'sometimes' basis such as Acepromazine.

I hope this helps.
Hi Kurt,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jasmine. How is everything going?