Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

Dog seems sick. He tells me that he is sick, first of all.

Dog seems sick.
He tells me that he is sick, first of all. He won't eat much. What he does eat comes back up. His breath suddenly smells terrible. He does this strange swallowing thing. I have been told that it is a sign of being nauseated. A few times a day he starts shaking, like he's cold.

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

First a few questions: how long has this been going on? what is your dog's age, breed, gender? Has this happened in the past? Is your dog on any medications right now including monthly flea and heartworm prevention?

Customer:

My browser did not refresh correctly.

Customer:

This has been occurring for the past week, up to two weeks. He is a three year old chihuahua. This has never happened in the past.

Customer:

He is not on any medications.

Dr. G :

I see. Is he drinking at all? Any blood in the vomit or in the stool? Any recent human food? Any chance he ate something he shouldn't have (toys, clothing, rocks/sticks, grass, etc)?

Customer:

No blood in vomit or stool.

Customer:

He drinks small amounts, frequently.

Customer:

Honestly, I feed him all sorts of human food, but nothing out of the ordinary recently.

Customer:

I'm sure it is possible that he could have eaten something he should not have.

Dr. G :

I see. What color are his gums: white, pink, pale pink, brown, red? Are you able to take a rectal temperature?

Customer:

Gosh. I'm at work right now. I can check his gums soon.

Customer:

I won't be able to take his temperature..

Dr. G :

I see. based on the signs and the fact that he gets a lot of human food, it is most likely that he has an upset stomach. Typically for these guys what I recommend doing is holding off on any food for 24 hours. You can give a 1/4 of a 10 mg famotidine (pepcid AC) tablet every 12 hours to help settle the stomach. After holding off food for 24 hours, you can begin giving small amounts of plain boiled chicken or ground beef with white rice for 24 hours. If there is still no improvement, then you will need to see your vet for stronger medications to help with vomiting and nausea and possibly x-rays.

Customer:

Okay. Now I just have to convince my girlfriend that this is best. She wants to rush to the ER and ALL of my remaining paycheck on him.

Customer:

Would this explain his breath?

Dr. G :

The vomiting will explain the breath. How old is he? Typically chihuahuas have pretty bad dental disease after about age 2, so unless he is getting dental cleanings yearly, that is likely also contributing a bit

Dr. G :

The big thing with dogs and this problem is avoiding human food

Customer:

He is three. Yeah. All of his bottom front teeth are about to fall out.

Customer:

lol really?

Customer:

He's pretty much lived on human food. :( I knew better when I did it.

Dr. G :

yeah, human food is the most common reason dogs come in for vomiting and upset stomach. They have been bred to live off dog food for a century now, so they often get pretty bad upset stomach with most human food.

Customer:

lol This is much better than what I thought it would be.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

Oh. How much famotidine?

Customer:

Oh. You told me.

Dr. G :

give 2.5 mg

Customer:

lol

Customer:

Alright. Thank you very much.