How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Whitehead Your Own Question
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 4055
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Whitehead is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 8 pound chihuahua ate about a half tablet of sudafed PE,

This answer was rated:

My 8 pound chihuahua ate about a half tablet of sudafed PE, Phenylephrine HCL 10 mg about 10 minutes ago. Will she be ok.
Hello there! My name isXXXXX there is not a specific dose of Phenylephrine that is known that is considered toxic. Each dog reacts differently to this medication and we definitely do worry about toxicity. Especially in a dog her size and the dose she ate I would recommend inducing vomiting. I would give her 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide by mouth and give her 15 minutes. If she does not vomit then repeat. If you cannot get her to vomit I would recommend having her seen at an emergency hospital to induce vomiting and be monitored/treated if necessary. The signs of toxicity are vomiting, hyperactivity, lethargy, panting, and trembling. So definitely induce vomiting and hopefully if she throws up then there won't be any worries.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It has been 30 minutes and she seems fine.
There is approximately a 1 hour window after ingestion that you must use to induce vomiting before the body absorbs the medication and starts showing signs of toxicity. So it does not surprise me that she is acting fine still. It has not been enough time for the medication to be dissolved and absorbed. I still strongly recommend inducing vomiting at this time to prevent any possible toxicity.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not have any peroxide, nor like near an emergency animal hospital. What now? What are signs of toxic poisoning?
If you are able to go out and get some hydrogen peroxide from a local store that may still be open then I would strongly recommend doing that. If that is not a possibility then your only option at this point and time is to watch her very closely in hopes that she does not have any toxicity. You can try to feed her some bread in a hope that it absorbs some of the medications but is not a great way to prevent the absorption. As stated above: The signs of toxicity are vomiting, hyperactivity, lethargy, panting, and trembling. I would monitor her closely tonight and if you see any signs of concerns have her seen first thing in the morning at your vet.
Dr. Whitehead and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions